Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proposed new classification for Steel Challenge

Flexmoney

At the December, 2013 USPSA Board of Directors Meeting...

Phil Strader (President) proposed a new classification system for Steel Challenge. It is based of of "peak stage times for each equipment division and for each of the 8 current/main stages.

Each class (GM through D) would have a range based off a multiplier(s) for that particular stage and equipment division.

Suggested was a minimum of 4 stages to be classified (so that one could be classified at one match) and have them run monthly (taking the best match scores of the month).

Example - 5 stage match in Limited:

Stage - Score - Peak Stage Time

Stage 1 - 13.73 - 10

Stage 2 - 11.11 - 10

Stage 3 - 14.83 - 13

Stage 4 - 15.10 - 13

Stage 5 - 17.10 - 14

Totals - 71.87 - 60

71.87 / 60 = 1.198

1.198 is the multiplier...(which would fall into the A-class range...which was proposed at ~ 1.15 to 1.25)

Anything is better than what we currently have. Any classification system can be adjusted as the directors here from the shooters. The system in use in USPSA is complex but it does give a decent separation of the shooters by skill level.....***except where shooters buy their card by abusing the system***.

The director should also include the 22 rim fires.....Rifle open, Pistol Open, at the least and possibly rifle and pistol stock also.

On the surface it looks very similar to USPSA hit factors. The difference being instead of calculating how much below the high hit factor you are you're calculating how high above the Peak Stage Time (PST) you are. I like the idea that it'll be based on equipment like USPSA is now so that's a step in the right direction. I would recommend the following:

- Calculations be performed weekly at the same time that USPSA calculations are performed. It doesn't make sense to calculate USPSA on a weekly basis and SCSA on a monthly basis.

- Publish the PST for all stages and all divisions and all classes. None of this mystical formula crap like we have with USPSA high hit factor.

- Tell us how PSTs are determined. If it's based on the lowest time set by a GM I'm fine with that. Just let us know that's where it came from.

- As hornetx40 stated calculate Peak Stage Times for rimfire divisions and allow us to be classified in centerfire and rimfire if we choose.

This is Phil's idea. I don't want to muddy things too much by not getting all the details right. (I heard about it in a "meeting"...not the greatest place to hash out details of an idea... , and voted to move forward on what I heard.)

The PSTs were based off match performance. Rimfire should be included (it wasn't in the first draft, but was desired and doable).

I had in my notes, "No reshoots, as we already get to throw out a run on a stage." That was my addition/suggestion, if it gets remembered to be put in. :)

Some suggestions, based on what we've learned from USPSA:

Publish the PST

Publish how the PST was determined

As the USPSA/SC data entry becomes more automated, run the updates weekly instead of monthly.

I'm not familiar with the current Steel Challenge classification system, but this seems nice and simple. :cheers:

Some suggestions, based on what we've learned from USPSA:

Publish the PST

Publish how the PST was determined

As the USPSA/SC data entry becomes more automated, run the updates weekly instead of monthly.

I agree, on all of those points (and that will probably be the direction/reality).

Kyle,

What is the source for the Peak Stage Times ? World records ?

Honestly, I just forget where Phil said he got the data. I don't want to say and then be wrong. I think it was from last years World match, but don't hold me to that. I didn't post more details (of the proposal) here, as it will be tweaked and adjusted a bit yet. (For example, rimfire wasn't in there yet, but was to be added.) And, it is not really my baby to present. (It didn't go through the Steel Challenge Committee nor the Classification Committee, Phil presented this at the meeting.)

• 3 weeks later...

While I really like the new idea and the flexibility to adapt like the USPSA system, its also nice having a diffinitive goal to train for. Knowing the times to chase gives some solid goal setting points to achieve. If its a moving goal, doesn't that make it tougher to know what you are looking for?

Just a question

• 1 month later...