Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotshell load for 3 Gun

jrizzo

(x-post from accurateshooter.com)

I just got a setup for reloading 12 gauge shotshells. I'm looking for a shot load that will work well for 3 Gun.

I have an 18" barrel with no choke, so I noticed that #4 shot worked best for making steel fall reliably. #6 worked in a pinch, but #4 was better. The problem is that these larger shot loads were bad for hitting the occasional flying clay target. Also, #4 lead shot isn't the cheapest for shotgun. So I'm thinking about hand loading some mixed shot loads. Possibly some amount of #4 mixed with some amount of #9 to increase the density of the pattern...or something like that.

Anyone know a good load for this mission? I'm completely new to loading shotshell, so any advice for my mission is appreciated. I can't use anything larger than #4 shot, and all shot has to be lead (no steel shot). I will be loading high brass shells since I know my gun likes high brass.

Edited by jrizzo

I think you'd be much better off having the barrel set up for choke tubes. What shotgun is it? Some barrels will need something like Tru Chokes due to barrel diameter, newer barrels may be thick enough to have the current tubes installed.

A friend of mine had a Winchester 1200 18" barrel cylinder bore. The barrel was thick enough to have Winchoke threads cut into it.

I actually shoot a Kel Tec KSG for now. They have a choke tube adapter on Kel Tec's site, but its been out of stock for a while. I intend to snag one the moment they are available. I will possibly switch to a semi-auto in the future anyways, so I'm not too worried about that now.

I'm mainly looking to develop this load to hold me over until I do one of the above. It will also just be an interesting exercise to experiment on.

My experience with Kel Tec is that they have pretty good customer service, once you get through to an actual human. If you call and ask, they will probably tell you about when to expect the choke adapter in stock. Sometimes it works better with them to just order it, then they feel guilty after a while and fill the backorders. Now if only they would do that with their .22mag pistols! I know people that have been waiting 15 months!

If you are new to shot shells reloading you need to know that the pressure is developed within the shell not in the chamber/barrel like rifle/handgun. For that reason, components you are using to assemble your shell are much more important than in the metal cartridge loads. Different hulls, primer, wad combinations as well as weight of your shot will require different amount of powder to achieve desired velocity safely. This is why shot shell manuals specify all the components and random mixing of components is NOT recommended. You will also realize that ( depending on your reloader) certain hull will crimp better then others and to switch brands will require adjustments. I also agree with the others that choke (barrel constriction at the end) is your problem. It is my understanding that KelTeck has cylinder bore so at 30 yards ~40% of your pellets will hit 30 " circle. For my 3G game I am shooting #8 shot and with full choke it knocks down steel to 30 yards.

One more advice from trap shooters: do not reload Winchester shells more than twice, they have white plastic insert at the base of the shell which is known to find its way to your barrel and blow up your gun by obstructing the barrel.

Regards.

Edited by ARK