Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Frame advice

profec291

Hi guys,

I'd like to buy a frame to start my Limited gun project (i'm still going to be shooting in production for awhile, cheaper for practice). Has anyone bought a frame only from STI or SV? Is this possible? If so, how long does it take to get the frame? I also understand that it has to be shipped to an FFL.

Looking at the STI site, i'm eyeing the 2011 Frame , Match 5" Slide, Wide Only. For SV, the site is not as clear as the STI site, but I am choosing between the Infinity Extended Dustcover & the Government (Standard). Are my selections ok for a limited gun?

thanks,

Wes

P.S. I spent 2 days going thru old posts, found some good advice, but would like to learn more. Thanks again!

You're going to get more advice on this than you ever wanted, but I'll be first to chime in.

These are MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCES and others may be different.

SVI builds some nice guns, and has a couple of neat ideas, like the ITS, Scott Grip and Interchangeable breech face. They are also (completely subjectively) a prettier gun IMHO. I have owned several SV based guns, by Neil Wiggans, Derek Janowicz, and Benny Hill. I like them all very much. That's the good side.

Now to the down side, again from my own experience; dealing with them can be a little frustrating. They do not return calls or emails, and getting something like a custom serial number or specific cuts on your slide may take upwards of four months. I don't know if it's a demand thing, some management issue or what's going on, but it does not seem to change.

I have purchased three frames and three slides (all unfit) from them over the last 18 months; One set was just as I ordered, perfect. On #2 the bomar cut was off center, and the raised flat top was skewed. My GS made it work, but at those prices I don't think I'm out of line expecting perfection. The last set was so crooked (disconnector rail etc) we had to send it back to exchange for a new parts.

Lastly, and maybe worst, the are more expensive. SV has positioned itself to be the "premium" supplier, but a six month wait and a bill for $925 for an UN-fitted slide and frame seems a little outrageous to me.

SV and it's distributors MAY have regular frames in stock. I have owned three or four total and have always been happy with them, even if I grumble about the customer service or price. Lastly, I like the SV mags tubes much better, smoother, less prone to rust.

STI. First the good stuff; A pleasure to deal with, they return phone calls, and emails. Their guns (and parts) are less expensive, and usally available. In MY experience when they tell you a delivery time they meet it or beat it. You have seen ads for STI "Edges" in stock all over the place, how many can you find for Infinity?

The down side, the guns are more basic, but functionally the same. They are, again IMHO, not as pretty as the SV's, but that is a situation easily fixed if they would put someone on changing the little details.

You don't have as many options as to trigger face, slide contours, and serrations, but you can get the gun now, and for a good deal less. On the other hand if you want all the goodies, and you start with an STI and then pay retail for the ITS, Scott grip etc, you are getting closer to the price SV demands.

I have owned at least three STI's and have another being built as I write this. I am kind of taking the salad bar approach, a little from this one and a little form that. My latest project is a short WIDE frame, ala Jerry Barnhart (just 'cause it looks diiferent than yours) with the serial # DIRTYPOOL40. From putting in the order my custom FITTED slide and frame took two months. Total was about $200 less than for the unfit parts from SV.

To answer your question more directly, unless you are hung up on details like a custom ser # or specific slide cuts, call around, find yourself the best deal on a frame. You can pick up a slide cheap enough, or go Caspian. You can get all the cuts done or have the GS do them. Long or short, it's really up to you. Personally I shoot the shorties, and if I decide I hate it, I can put all but about 1.5 ouces back in the gun. I just like the look better.

Several distributors have STI Edge's ready to ship if you don't want to wait for a GS to build one. Depends on how much you want to spend and how personal you want the final gun.

Have fun and feel free to PM me with any other questions.

We have the STI frames in stock - they have to go to an FFL, they are the serial numbered part of the gun. The one you are looking at is the long dust cover (matches 5 inch slide) STI frame kit 5.0 this is what the majority of people are using in Limited. We are now offering them at 10% off retail.

Thanks for all the replies guys, thats a lot of information! If I can't get a frame with a custom serial # within the next 2 weeks, i'll most likely give Bob a call.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has more to add, please do so!

should have added Bob to the "list". My training buddy down here has two of Bob's guns (one long, one short) and they both run flawlessly. Personally the holes in the slide don't work for me and the high percentage of Con 2 / 3 starts down here, but they do look sexy.

Mechanically Bob's guns are as good as any.

I have to agree 100% with everything that Dirtypool40 had to say about both SVI & STI. I have a real sweet limited gun that I had SV do my way and I had to wait 4 months for it and paid way to much to boot. I just started an open gun project and STI came in way under the price of SV for the frame and slide kit. For a limited gun the wide long dustcover is the way to go. It adds weight that helps tame down the recoil. Get an Edge and fancy schmancy it up next year. Oh yeah, I ordered the slide and frame kit from a local STI distributor and they had it in less than 2 weeks. A friend got a frame only in under one week. The 2006 season will start before you see anything from SV. SV does stand behind thier work real well.

Best of luck.

look at the uspsa classifieds after a big match....i think the next big one is the FL open. there will be a bunch of adds for frames for sale. i bought my long wide frame for 325 shipped. got the slide for 250 shipped. or post on the classifieds as a WTB: frame....works well :D

I got my frame directly from SV, with a certificate I bought at an enormous discount on the USPSA classifieds. Tammy was good about answering my e-mails, though she certainly took her time on occasion. When I called to finalize the price after upgrades (some of which are a steal, just $50 for the Scott grip), she picked up quickly and was very nice and helpful. I mailed in the certificate and a check, and about two weeks later I had my frame... with a ramp cut I didn't ask for or pay for (scratches head). Oh well, free stuff is good, and at least all the stuff I did ask for and pay for was there.

I really like my frame, and will be sorely tempted to buy another one when I get around to building an Open gun, despite the lower price and better availability of STI frames. If I do get another SV frame, I'll probably just order it from Speed Shooteres though, the factory seems too kooky to deal with.

Seems like you can find lots of deals on frame kits..both SV and STI..especially after matches where they are sponsors...

I think the last five frames I have found..I have gotten from $225 to $300 shipped..

if I were to buy one..go with one of the distributors..like Brazos, Shooters Connection or Speed Shooters..they all have been great for me to talk with and purchase from...

• 2 weeks later...