Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have a Raspberry Pi Model B and have played around with it a little. I compiled about 500,000 lines of code (my company's code base). It seems very robust and well thought out. Development is pretty easy. The main development language is Python which isn't too bad though I prefer Java.

I haven't done much with it as real work (Embedded C/C++, Android Java, and iOS) eat up all my time. There are a bunch of example projects where people have used it for garage door openers, etc.

Kevin

I hadn't seen the picaxe. Cool. B)

I had been looking at XBMC (popular Media Center software), and thinking of setting up a Home Theater Personal Computer (HTPC). A popular choice for a HTPC is a Windows 7 based machine. But I might like to make one with the Raspberry Pi.

I'm also thinking about a file server (NAS).

• 2 months later...

I've played with one some as a video, digital sign. Showing images, ads, videos whatever on a TV in a store or training office as a digital sign. Pretty cool but still limited to a degree. Can be difficult to setup even with good networking and programming knowledge. Lots of help out there though.

I am tinkering with one expecting to use if for home automation.

lights, thermostat, and maybe a door unlocker.

for me it is a steep learning slope so far.

I like the price however.

miranda

• 1 month later...

I've been reading about it but don't have any real interest since I make my living writing code and don't need any more hobbies. But it reminds me a lot of some of the early "kit" computers. I think that it's an interesting idea and the fact that it's open source, small, inexpensive, and extensible make for some interesting possibilities.