Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight options for the Shadow

Nimitz

Just realized the front sight that came with my new Shadow has the FO dot about midway on the post. With the Sevigny front sight on my Glock the FO dot was at the top so lining up the dot with the notch worked. What I just discovered after practice today was that the reason I'm shooting center high on long targets is when I line up the FO dot now the post is above the notch. I could probably retrain myself with this new sight but I'd rather switch to a front sight like I had since I have a LOT of rounds down range with the old sight setup ...

So what front sights are folks using that have a very narrow width ...?

assuming I can find a suitable replacement, yes I would. I did a quick search and noticed that Dawson Precision also sells FO front sights that look like the FO is at the top of the sight. Anyone have Dawson front sights on their Shadow?

could you post a pic? the pics from their site look like the dot is right at the top of the post. The Sevigny sight was also recessed in the front which I really liked. While mine is currently well defined too I can't tell if it is recessed ...

I got the dot higher on my 1911 by chamfering the hole the fiberoptic goes through then when I installed the new fiberoptic I formed a larger ball when I melted it. Bigger diameter will move the edge of the ball up.

Edited by mgardner

Is that not something you would be comfortable doing yourself?

I changed mine out on a SP-01, and it was very easy.

Just need a punch, and some fine grit sandpaper.

Walmart has 1000 and 2000 grit in their automotive section.

Just sayin-

Rear sight is no issue as its the fixed competition sight already installed and zeroed by CZC ....

If it really can only be installed in one position then for sure I can do it myself as I just finished a complete dissambly to change out my hammer, firing pin and trigger return springs ...

Here's a link to the Dawson sights for a CZ 75.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80001716-1388518374

At the top of the page Dawson says:

Newly Redesigned for Easier Installation of Sight Bushing Cross Pin!

No Drilling or Filing Necessary to Install Cross Pin!

This is the Dawson front sight that came with my CZ... 019-115...

Sounds like these are the plan if you plan to do it yourself...

Rear sight is no issue as its the fixed competition sight already installed and zeroed by CZC ....

If it really can only be installed in one position then for sure I can do it myself as I just finished a complete dissambly to change out my hammer, firing pin and trigger return springs ...

if you can do hammer and trigger return spring then you can do front sight easy.

just need a vice, some soft jaws (and preferably a cover for them too). the new sight, a new sight pin and the right size drill bit and the right punch. away you go. :)