Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC Open Major Power Factor

6brbb

• 1 year later...

Kneelingatlas are you talking about a standard cz custom barrel? I have a czc shadow custom with short dust cover, if i did a frame mount optic would the barrel hold up to major loads?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Yeah as the p9 introduced an era of 9mm open guns they had trouble living at the 175+pf (170was the floor for major). They would much through slide stops, shear lugs, break slides. All sorts of fun.

The other thing to remember is the original major pf was based around the pf of a regular defense type load in a 45 acp. Being a 200gn+ bullet going under 900 fps. As people started shooting super and 9mm that power factor floor was considered less relevant I guess.

Since the trend is to shoot light bullets fast they lowered open major. Ipsc also have a min bullet weight of 120gn which is effectively a way to keep velocity in check. The last thing they want is the bloke shooting 9x23 to rock up with his 100gn fmjs going 1800fps and drill straight through their poppers!

This is all just my opinion. I was not involved in making the rules so I don't know for sure. But I've picked up bits and pieces of rumour from around the place.

Short answer: safety and to help 9mm opens like the p9 and the czechmate hang together.