Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dillon powder measurer returns slaming...1050

has anyone experience the powder measurer bar slamming back after the pouring powder into the case? It seems as though the bar get stuck after the downstroke on a 1050 and returns in a slamming motion.

Does not happen everytime on the downstroke only on occasion. What can be causing this????

thanks

Two things I can think of:

1. The measure isn't at the 'right' angle for the failsafe rod. Try rotating the measure slightly clockwise or counter clockwise and see if it smooths out.

2. If you're using a very fine grain ball powder (true blue, sp2, aa7, etc.), you might be getting some powder trapped between the powder bar and the measure. Pull the bar out and see if there is any powder or galling.

Hope I made sense.

Make sure your fail safe rod goes from the big piece of metal into the small piece like this:

49AE09E7-A300-49C3-B6F4-A8FF576FAA58-128

C90A9142-C6A3-45DC-95A1-E90607EF8F52-128

ETA: Here I just snapped a picture of the measure on my 1050 - same thing, only different:

7B13B699-B98C-4847-9E36-0007448CA104_zps

If the rod goes through the other way, it causes odd things to happen!

Edited by Henny

mine is like the last photo with the cotter key. No I would say there is medium pressure on the spring. I was loading 223 with H335 powder. One thing I did notice was the square cube that rides in the slot for the powder measure. I was sort of...angle in the corners so I replaced it.

Also on mine since it so old, in the last photo, the longer slot where the rod rides on, had a rough surface with bumps. So I sanded it down and now I grease that whole area where the rods moves in.

I have switch to loading 45 and will see if I get the same slamming effect.

thanks

Also check the plastic bushing on the bottom of the body of the press that rides into the collar at the bottom. IF that area wears you will need to replace it (plastic bushing) or lube it with some moly paste. Just enough for it to move smoothly. I would also recommend checking all the allen head screws on the measure and if you haven't, put a drop of blue loctite on all of those little buggers, as they will work loose......I also recommend using two adjustment screws on the bottom of the failsafe rod. Put the bottom one on upside down. When you get the rod where you want it for smooth operation then tighten the two together and it will keep the one screw from working itself loose.....

Good luck,

DougC

This only applies to pistol loads but I spent some time trying to smooth out the down stroke of my powder measure (650) only to find that most of the occasional/sudden down strokes were simply the case mouth sticking to the powder funnel.

Polishing the powder funnel helps temporarily, but when my brass is really clean it still sticks occasionally.

The 1050 powder funnel doesn't have sticking issues like the SD, 550 and 650. The 1050 powder funnel only bells the case mouth where the others expand and bell, the expander part is what sticks. The 1050 expands with the backup rod for the swager.

If the general powder measure alignment is OK check that the guide the failsafe rod runs in is clear of debris and also not skewed out.

As jmorris says the 1050 does not expand on the powder measure. If you are not running a bullet feeder, you must NOT expand on the powder measure with a 1050. If you are running the new style powder failsafe system and also have a return spring, that will be the slam you get. I prefer to use the spring with the new style failsafe. Dillon will say it is not needed. I agree it is not needed. I am using it anyways, belt and braces for me.

As for general sticking issues (all machines) off the powder funnel, Keep the funnel clean, before you start to reload clean the goo off the outside of the funnel. I also rub it down with a very fine wet and dry if I feel any unevenness. Of late I have been running the new Mr Bullet Feeder and have now switched to their modified powder funnel. I feel the cases come off the powder funnel a little more smoothly on my 650. I will swap my 1050 expander to this funnel when I get a chance.

You can adjust most of the slam out of the powder measure (not all) by increasing or decreasing the spring tension on the failsafe arm. Play with the spring tension and you should be able to smooth it out a little....

DougC

The bent-in part of 17838 part caught on mine (when changed over to .45) and made a slamming return condition. It's pretty smooth now and the only major thing I did was adjust more spring tension into it like Doug here has suggested. At first I thought the bent in part was supposed to cause a slam to settle powder. Not sure what other purpose it would serve.

I ground off the bent in part that catches and releases when the fail safe bottoms out. That and some grease and it's smooth as a babies butt. Not jerking or catching at all. If you push up by hand to achieve full travel and let it go, it will go all the way back down by itself.