Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten guide rod in 9mm 1911

Pathfinder1

What do you guys think of putting a tungsten guide rod in a 9mm 1911, for IPSC?

I have a Springfield Loaded with the 2 piece factory FLGR that I don't really like. So I was thinking if I was going to replace it anyway with a one piece FLGR, why not install a tungsten FLR to make the recoil even more outrageously light. Is there any reason anyone thinks it won't work correctly in a 9MM?

Edited by Pathfinder1

There shouldn't be a reason it wouldn't work. The only drawbacks off the top of my head:

1. with the extra weight out front, your transitions might suffer

2. if you're shooting in singlestack division, you might be over the weight limit.

Thanks for the feed back everyone. It weighs in at 39 oz. with the 2 piece steel FLGR now.

The EGW TGR is 3.2oz, so I think minus the present GR, and adding the TGR I'll probably make weight.

Breakage may not (but yes is possible) be as much as a worry as the slamming of a .45 or .40.

al503 has a good point about transitions, but after using a Sig stainless X5 9mm (heavy ass gun) in the past, I think I may be able to tolerate the extra weight.

I think I'll give it a try...probably the EGW.

Opps, ahh, good point EkuJustice...it's 41.25oz with empty mag (Dawson). 43 oz is the limit isn't it?

So minus the present steel 2pc FLGR, then adding the 3.2oz of the EGW I think I can still make it. Obviously I'll have to weight the steel rod.

thanks

Edited by Pathfinder1

Nice setup EKuJustice. If the tungsten rod feels too strange to me when it arrives and I try it, I may consider something like that and go to a steel FLGR. The reason I'm willing to at least try the tungsten FLGR in the 9mm 1911 is because I did install one about a year ago in my .40 SA XDM that I use for Limited major.

I just wasn't sure about use of one in the 9mm 1911 platform without asking for some opinions from 9mm 1911 shooters/owners first.

BTW the TFLGR in the .40 XDM works well and there definitely is a very noticeable difference. About a year now and no breaks yet...knock on wood.