Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 3n37 124gr hp mg production load?

Naka16

red dot will work but it's the opposite end of the scale (too fast burning). it's equivalent to a powder here called AS30 which is a shotgun powder but it can be used in 9mm minor. The hassle is it's such a small load both by weight (in the 2.5gn range) and by case volume. makes it dangerously easy to miss a double charge (depending on press of course). it can also be a bit inconsistent.

the 3n is a bit too slow burning to be useful in a 9mm minor load.

here's a table that may help (it's put out by the aussie company ADI that produce hodgdon's powder among others). powders start fastest burning up the top and get slower as you go down the table right up into rifle powders. http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/equivalents.asp some popular US powders are missing unfortunately but many are on there.

As a guide in australia AP100 is very popular open gun powder. and even it is a bit faster than 3n37, ideally you'd want to swap for some N320 or even N330. but in a pinch the red dot is probably better to use than the 3n37.

Try the 3n37 first it might surprise you, sometimes we need to think outside of the box. I had some left over 3n38 that I wanted to try for minor 9mm and thought no way, even if it did work it would suck. Well turns out I was very wrong I couldnt find any data at all so that scared me a bit so I loaded very lite at first, the gun wouldnt even cycle so I kept bumping it up a little at a time until It was throwing the brass about 3 ft with no issues. It feels fantastic and is single hole accurate this isnt supposed to happen going by the charts but it is what it is...

My Speer # 13 has 3n37 data for the 124 grain Gold Dot.. 1063 fps to 1179 fps. I feel like it is at least a reasonable powder choice if they published the data.

If I understand correctly a 124 grain bullet at 1100 fps would be a 136 power factor?

My Speer # 13 has 3n37 data for the 124 grain Gold Dot.. 1063 fps to 1179 fps. I feel like it is at least a reasonable powder choice if they published the data.

If I understand correctly a 124 grain bullet at 1100 fps would be a 136 power factor?

Will try to load a handful. What does speer have as a starting load? Are the gold dots plated bullets?

Does your book list 3n38 data? This makes me wonder what the actual difference is between the two powders.