Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building Open Glock

jimbullet

Im building an open glock using a g17 and have most of the parts installed already. Comp has 2 ports at the top and one on each side, similar to the carver comps.I thought I describe it if it is of any help.

I am wanting to build up a load for speed/ steel challenge matches and wanting to start out with factory ammo running power factor of 125-126 thereabouts.

My question is, what spring weight would be recommended. The gun jams on 17 lb and on 15 lb.

Has anyone tried the zev 12 lb springs if they work? I would have preferred the ISMI 11 lb springs which were recommended but they simply are hard to get by in New Zealand. Whats so far available is the 12 lb and 14 lb ZEV recoil springs and so I just thought if anyone had experience if they worked on your glock open pistols.

I know mine, with a similiar setup, will not run factory loads with a 11lb spring. I don't have to run major but I do run 150+pf for the comp to do a little work. Comp works alot better with loads going at least major. Major I run a 13lb spring.

Edited by JackinSD

I know mine, with a similiar setup, will not run factory loads with a 11lb spring. I don't have to run major but I do run 150+pf for the comp to do a little work. Comp works alot better with loads going at least major. Major I run a 13lb spring.

Have you ran major with an 11 lb spring in your setup? What comp are you running?

I use a 10 lb. round coil spring with minor and major loads. Gun works flawless, minor loads kicks the brass out about two feet from the pistol and major kicks out slightly farther.

I was told to try a lighter spring to flatten it out even more, but I thought if I went too light, the slide would not have enough energy coming forward to strip the next round out of the magazine. Besides, I haven't found anything lighter than a 10 pound spring.

I have a Carver "major P/F" comp on mine,....I mainly shoot 148 P/F loads, that is the most accurate out my pistol, full house major loads start opening up the group size substantially.

Edited by Henry625

What manufacturers do 11 lbs or even lighter (i.e. 8,9 lbs) apart from ISMI? So is it not possible to run factory 9mm loads with a comp?

You can run factory loads but the amount of gases produced by the load isn't enough to make the comp work properly.

Edited by Stev7783

What manufacturers do 11 lbs or even lighter (i.e. 8,9 lbs) apart from ISMI? So is it not possible to run factory 9mm loads with a comp?

You can run factory loads but the amount of gases produced by the load isn't enough to make the comp work properly.

I suppose in order to maximize potential of having a comp, it does require a major pf load but even running say low pf such as factory loads, the comp will still do what it is designed to do isnt it, and that would be to expel gases upward and through the ports, so it would still help reduce recoil.

I suppose in order to maximize potential of having a comp, it does require a major pf load but even running say low pf such as factory loads, the comp will still do what it is designed to do isnt it, and that would be to expel gases upward and through the ports, so it would still help reduce recoil.

The less gas the less muzzle flip reduction, not less recoil.

While it is true that there is still gas being redirected, once you hit a certain point in gas reduction the difference in a comped and non-comped pistol becomes difficult to distinguish.

I am using factory 115 rounds through my M&P 9 with a carver 3port comp. It may not be efficient, but the comp is definitely working with the factory loads and making a difference. I am also playing with springs to get it just right. The wolff 12 is a tad too light, the 14 a bit too heavy. The M&P uses the same springs as the G17.

I am now looking at trying an ISMI 13lb spring. If someone has one for trade, I have Wolff-Glock 10 and 11 lb springs I would trade both for the ismi 13lb. The 11 is new in the bag, the 10 has maybe 20 rounds on it.

Which comp do you have with 2 ports? That may be perfect for factory loads. I just dont have the time for reloading this year.

Edited by fdc1999