Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

155 gr SWC minor load

cpa5oh

Anyone have a starting point for me for a 155 gr SWC .40 minor load (that I'll shoot out of my Tanfoglio Stock 2.) WST is already in the hopper, but I also have Titegroup, and a few other powders on hand and available.

Thank you!

Dan

Kneelingatlas has a point. The problem with semi-wadcutter bullets is that even if you can get them to feed from the magazine into the chamber, when the fired case is being extracted the rim tends to hang up on the next round in the magazine as the semi-wadcutter part catches it as it is being extracted and pulls it off the extractor hanging up the gun. Some gun manufacturers have changed the feed angles of the magazines slightly (XDm for one) to avoid this problem but it still exists in a lot of guns. Frankly I don't use semi-wadcutter bullets for this reason and so have no data for the various calibers in a Tanfo, but it could easily become a problem.

Thank you guys!

These are round nose semi-wad cutter - gonna find out today if they'll feed. They are the same profile as this - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/964278/oregon-trail-laser-cast-bullets-40-caliber-401-diameter-155-grain-lead-round-nose-semi-wadcutter-box-of-500

I made 100 rounds with 4.0 grains of WST...did that before I saw kneelingatlas's post. I use 4.4 grains with 180 grain lead projectiles to get major, so I was just figuring...probably going to be way light. I'll chrono, report back, then try your suggestion.

So I ended up, this first run, with 4.0 grains of WST at 1.125". No feeding issues, gun cycled perfectly fine (with the stock recoil spring, which will be exiting as soon as I get a parts order.) I'll chrono at some point, but I'm pretty sure they aren't sub-minor power factor because they didn't feel all that soft...

Anyone have a starting point for me for a 155 gr SWC .40 minor load (that I'll shoot out of my Tanfoglio Stock 2.) WST is already in the hopper, but I also have Titegroup, and a few other powders on hand and available.

Thank you!

Dan

I run 3.6 grains of WST. It makes 134 PF out of my M&P 40 Pro.

Edited by Dave C

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Loading up from 4.0 gr WST with 155 gr lead rn. Going to see how it shoots tomorrow. Let myself get low on bullets so these are finally going to get loaded up and run. Will be using in a 6" STI and 5" single stack.