Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Project Single Stack: Which base gun?

theblacknight

I'm planning to do a project gun. I'm looking for a good gun base gun to start with.

I'm not a machinist but my father and uncle are and I did some time in my uncle's shop doing simple finish work on cnc'ed parts and grinding castings and such. I do know my way around a flat and half round file and after watching http://www.amazon.com/Panteao-Productions-Make-Ready-Liebenberg/dp/B008GQ2YHM decided that I could handle rebuilding a budget gun with some parts and shoot something else then Production eventually.

What I'm looking to do: saving money on the features I want by doing it myself, and a fun project.(this should ward off all the "just have a gun built" posts)

Stainless 5" gun in 45 for single stack division only(not CDP)

Stainless because it takes out the re-fit after finishing and holster wear dosent exist.

I don't mind if enternal or external extractor.

Work I plan to do myself:

Blood drawing front strap checkering done by file

Undercut front strap

blended and smoothed beaver tail area

semi-fit barrel/bushing

A simple hand polish finish

I don't want a super crazy trigger so I can use whatever primers/ammo I can for practice.

I'll also put some Dawson Adjustables on it, the grippiest g10 stocks I can find, and a giant magwell and mag release button that border on "offensive".

My questions as of right now

Which base gun would you recommend and why?

I'm looking at the SA loaded SS or S&W 1911 SKU#108284 because the slides are already bomar cut.

Assuming I'm shooting 173-175pf ammo, what do people typically run for a recoil spring # and how does that effect lock up and the ignition set up?

With that list of DIY, just get a frame/slide kit from Caspian, STI or Remsport.

Remsport dosent appear to have a website, and a STI's frams are all 4140. I've been looking the big C

Get a Springfield Mil Spec

I'm trying to stay away from guns that don't have bomar milled already since I obviously dont have a mill.

If I were dead set on stainless, caspian is the way I'd go. The integral plunger tube option is nice, and you can get the frame and slide with most of the more involved !a hine work done.

Edited by Racer377

Lucky you, getting to build your own gun.

Frame: Bar Stock if possible. Good stainless?Wilson or Baer, Capsian third in line..

Slide: Capsian

Rear Sight--I like SV

Fire controls: Infinity or Cylinder and Slide

Safties: Ed Brown

other parts: EGW

Get it coated-i prefer hard chrome. but all the other finishes are quite good.

IMHO; the critical fitting is the barrel timing. you might need some outside advice.

IMHO; the critical fitting is the barrel timing. you might need some outside advice.

Finally! That video did cover timing and measuring the lug recesses in the slide. I posted here to try and find out how running a light recoil spring and 175pf ammo effects all this.

Why not just leave polished SS?

3 single stacks later, If I were to do it again.... Baer base gun, build from there.

Yeah, but why?

Finally! That video did cover timing and measuring the lug recesses in the slide. I posted here to try and find out how running a light recoil spring and 175pf ammo effects all this.

Why not just leave polished SS?

3 single stacks later, If I were to do it again.... Baer base gun, build from there.

Yeah, but why?

Baers are tanks. You are guarunteed accuracy, whether you want a 3 inch or 1.5 inch gun is up to you.

What you get:

Tight fit

accuracy

ok trigger, which can easily be great

Good parts!

What you will need:

Magazine well

Sights (maybe)

Maybe FLG

- I went with Springfield the first time and 2 Trojans next

sights

barrel bushing

Magwell

full ignition system

oversized pins/or just better pins

reliability job

try tuning ammo to get better accuracy, might get lucky.

I have been shooting one of these configurations for 10+ years, Picked up a Baer threw some crap in the mag and now regret my last 3 1911s. what makes it worse, I have Baer money in a Trojan.

Shop around, find a base model in the 1500 range, save yourself time/money.

Polished Stainless-polish away, WHY? blued carbon, use the difference to order Tripp mags.

Lighter recoil spring...... you will need a monster grip. 12 to 16 lb spring should cover everything. Lighter than that and you are getting into Lim/Open territory. I thought the same thing... Try shooting 9mm Major ammo through a 9mm single stack. Snappy.

I'm planning to do a project gun. I'm looking for a good gun base gun to start with.

What I'm looking to do: saving money on the features I want by doing it myself, and a fun project.(this should ward off all the "just have a gun built" posts)

You will never save money, but you will have a lot of fun and you will end up with exactly what you want.

Get a Springfield Mil Spec or a Loaded.

What about a Springfield Range Officer? Great basic gun. Not as expensive on the street as you might think.

Do those come in Stainless?

Doublestar single stack's are a great deal for a forged frame set up!

Thats not stainless.