Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-16 for Limited

JFD

Hopalong

Well....That POS Para feeds everything I can stuff in the mag and runs 100%. Got at least 1000 rounds thru it and have shot 2 matches so far. Accuracy has been very good, but I haven't shot it off a bench yet. So far have tried Winchester white box 165s, my Rainier long-loaded 180 JHPs, and my own cast 178 TCs.

Unfortunately I've been a "victim" of brain farts at the 2 matches I've shot, but still ended up 2nd overall at the first match. Still waiting for results for the second match, but other than a couple of solid stages it was brain fart city.

I guess I'll have to break my attachment to your mag and send it back Monday :(

So far all I've added has been an extended mag release w/button and an Ice magwell. The Ice is a definite improvement over the regular DP magwell.

I've got a DP trigger and fiber optic front sight on order. The trigger isn't really needed, but it's one of those "feel" things. The front sight will hopefully remind me to pay attention to it once in awhile.

I'm going to use it to defend my L-10 title at the SC sectional, but damned if I don't REALLY want to shoot Limited instead.

I did find that I do not like the Wolff mag springs and am replacing the one that I tried with a factory para spring.

The only negative to this para is that I ended up ordering some stuff from Dawson. I'll leave it at that.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of "feel", the grip tape on the front and the factory grips was not a bad combination.

What I did was replace the front tape with a piece I cut from my 1911 TruGrips, wrapped it under the grip panels a bit. Cut another TruGrip in half and put in on the grip panels, also wrapping it around the front of the grip a little. So far it's holding well and gives me the same feel I have with my other TruGrip'ed 1911s.

That's what I've done, is the Grip tape on the front with the factory grips. I thought of changing but decided I liked what I was using. The Ice magwell is the best well for the Para (IMHO). I did look at others but fell in love with the Ice.

I was originally going to put the $49 DP magwell on, but am thankful I went with the Ice instead. Very smooth with the insert.

I almost stuck with the factory panels and grip tape on the front strap, but I've really gotten used to the TruGrips so I decided to stick with that.

• 3 weeks later...

JFD,

How do you like it now???

Are you going to shoot L-10 or Limited at the SC sectional ????

Will be looking for good results, good Luck !!!!!

How about the New factory??? things going good there too ??? Hope so !!!!!

Hop

I still love it. Added a Dawson FO front sight last week.

I'm going to shoot L-10 with it at the sectional.

We just started our production line today and get to continue it Saturday. So much for shooting a last local match before the sectional :angry: At least I can practice Sunday.

• 9 months later...
And for those that will say for the price of both guns I could have bought an Edge, the P14-45 is now my target gun gun as it will put all 18 rounds in a 1 inch group of the bench at 20 yards, which is why I have not had it for sale before now.

I have a Para p16-40. I have had some problems with it but I don't know if it's common to this model of gun. The rear sight fell off. Para sent replacements. I have had them break on Kimbers as well.

The gun does not seems to group very well I believe because there is too much slope in the frame to slide. I have had the gun about 6 months. I can stick a feeler gauge under the front

between the slide and the frame and there is abount .015 play. I calculated this to be about

2.5 inches a 25 yrd .

The slide also wobbles from side to side a bit

I have never had any problem with relability. I am in the process of having an accuracy job done on it.

I shoot well with in in competition and never have any problem with it.

I figure I will get a little work done on it and it will shoot a lot better.

Edited by 45gunner

Well, I've had my Para for a year now shooting a minimum of 1000 rounds a month through it.

I love the thing!

I'm still trying to figure out the negative comments about Para mags. I've now got 10 of them from 3 different sources (no chance of getting a "good lot") and 8 of them have been 100% reliable whether loaded with 20 or 21 rounds. The other 2 mags haven't been used yet. That will change Sunday. I also see nothing inferior about the quality of construction or materials. No need to pay anyone to "tune" them for sure.

Still waiting on a jam. Hasn't happened yet :)

The barrel bushing did break during a practice session. I'm not a fan of MIM parts, so I was expecting it to happen. Still pissed me off at the time, but mainly because I didn't have a spare. Replaced it with an EGW melt bushing. Then I replaced the EGW with an Ed Brown. Then I switched back to the EGW.

Went with a Nowlin trigger kit because I like the one I put in my Kimber. This one I did some polishing on and it's better than the Kimber trigger.

Dawson .125 FO front sight.

Dawson ICE magwell.

Gun Craft Mag release with STI paddle button (I could do without the button).

Replaced an ill-fitting mainspring housing (I think hopalong grabbed this from his reject bin ;) ) with the original from my Kimber. Perfect fit.

EGW tungsten guide rod.

I got tired of screwing around with grip tape. It just didn't hold up long enough. Also gave up on TruGrips for the Para. I've still got the original piece of TruGrip on the front strap, but bought Pearce grips that have a nice feel. Cut the finger groove part off to get them down to basic grip panels. So far this has been a really good combo.

Running a 12.5 lb spring with 1 coil clipped.

Ed Brown ambi thumb safety.

I think that's about it. Nothing but the bushing really "needed" replacing. The rest was personal preference.

The really good thing is that the new job I had at the beginning of this post has ended up increasing my income signficantly. A custom STI/SV would be no problem financially. However I have no urge at all to ever trade in this Para for a STI/SV.

Thanks to all the pro-Para folks, especially hopalong.

Jerry,

You are quite welcome. ;)

I'm glad the old junker is still working.....thought I had worn it out! :P:P:P (just kidding)

On Magazines......I have my orignal 6.....all run 100% with the first set of Grams springs still in them (I do take the bases off when not using them though) BTW they all hold 21 and I can reload into them when they are full.

Now having said all that, and still liking my current Para P16-40.

I also really like my Benny Hill built bastard LTD gun.....built by parts I picked up off of prized tables complements of mostly the gun JFD has. B)

I am in the process of shooting both, and seem to be able to shoot the Benny Blaster just a little better....but would not have a problem shooting either in any match.

So for those of you that are poor hard working folks like me, go buy a Para P16, win enough parts to build you a custom LTD gun with it, then let some other poor sucker have the PARA after you have worn it out! :blink: Right JFD?

BTW, The gun JFD has is an older all Stainless Para....I think I like them just a little better than the newer 2 tone gun. Also when I sold the gun to JFD it had some where in the range of 60,000 rounds through it in 2 years......I actually kind of miss it......you want to sell it back to me Jerry? ;)

HOPALONG

Forget about it :P Mine Mine Mine Mine

I did notice that last year I predicted I'd be shooting cast bullets in whatever Limited gun I got. I spoiled myself with plated and jacketed bullets when I first got the Para and now can't stand the smoke of cast. Lucky that I discovered Precision Delta.

Glad I didn't cast more than a few thousand. Of course I'm still casting for my Kimber, as my wife is now a card carrying USPSA member shooting L-10 :wub:

• 1 month later...

I've been reading this thread to see where it finally ended up. ;)

And the reason is that I wanted to add some comments.

I've got a Para 16-40 LTD that is much like the one JFD bought... Its got well over 100,000 rounds on the slide and frame, its not "tight" but it doesn't rattle either. The old barrel wore out and it got inaccurate, so a new Schuemann Ultimatch Bull barrel fixed that it had about 2000 rounds through it when I bought it. S&A magwell. Lightish spring, buff, solid guide rod, extended mag release, full S*I internals, just over 2 lb trigger. I bought it used and "tricked out" with a couple mags. I shoot 180gr loads loaded to 1.180" length without problems.

It shoots very well, better than I can. But thats ok I've only been shooting pistol for 2 years and IPSC (USPSA style) for one.

That said, a well known gunsmith told me when I was looking at what to get that both S*I and Para will make a very very good gun. The difference is that you'd pay more for smithing/parts to get the Para to the same level starting with new guns. The net effect is that going new is going to cost about the same either way.

On the other hand if you can pick up either used and running well then thats a great way to go as you can save a lot of money.

• 3 months later...
I've been reading this thread to see where it finally ended up. ;)

And the reason is that I wanted to add some comments.

I've got a Para 16-40 LTD that is much like the one JFD bought... Its got well over 100,000 rounds on the slide and frame, its not "tight" but it doesn't rattle either. The old barrel wore out and it got inaccurate, so a new Schuemann Ultimatch Bull barrel fixed that it had about 2000 rounds through it when I bought it. S&A magwell. Lightish spring, buff, solid guide rod, extended mag release, full S*I internals, just over 2 lb trigger. I bought it used and "tricked out" with a couple mags. I shoot 180gr loads loaded to 1.180" length without problems.

It shoots very well, better than I can. But thats ok I've only been shooting pistol for 2 years and IPSC (USPSA style) for one.

That said, a well known gunsmith told me when I was looking at what to get that both S*I and Para will make a very very good gun. The difference is that you'd pay more for smithing/parts to get the Para to the same level starting with new guns. The net effect is that going new is going to cost about the same either way.

On the other hand if you can pick up either used and running well then thats a great way to go as you can save a lot of money.

I shoot a Para 16-40 and really like it. I have done a lot of work on it myself including peening the slide, 2lb trigger job, tungston guide rode, fiber optic site, Dawson magwell, new mag release spring, Briley barrel bushing.

It shoots 1 - 2' groups at 25 yrds with good ammo.

It has about 20k rounds through it over a 1.5 yr period.

The only thing it could do better is shoot itself.

Edited by 45gunner