Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can anyone ID this powder?

Will Abrahams

I recently bought some .40 SW major 1.180 from a competition ammo supplier. I called to ask what powder they use, but the person I spoke with made it sound like they use several different powders based on what's available. I know there are a lot of flake powders out there, but does this look like any of the usual suspects generally used for 40SW?

post-8260-0-71598100-1386813568_thumb.jp

Most commercial reloaders don't use canister powders generally available to the public. They used "blended" powders that you will never see unless you get a deal on some "BE" type from an Alliant distributor or something like that, which is a bulk "Bullseye" variant with different retardation or flash additives blended for a particular commercial application.

Most commercial reloaders don't use canister powders generally available to the public. They used "blended" powders that you will never see unless you get a deal on some "BE" type from an Alliant distributor or something like that, which is a bulk "Bullseye" variant with different retardation or flash additives blended for a particular commercial application.

I was wondering if that was the case.

This particular ammo was from universal ammo out of Florida. The gentlemen I spoke with mentioned titegroup was one of the powders they use, but was not sure if it was used for my particular batch. I didn't ask if all their powders were of the canister type.

The charge weight is 5.0 grains.

Thanks for the responses : )

It's not wst, wst is almost green and nonmetallic-looking. Also 5g of wst is not enough for major 40 @180gr unless it's lead. Still think it's titegroup. They always load hot, so 5gr of titegroup for a 180 would sound about right

Edited by Russellhjoy