Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 9mm Loaded Quality Problems anyone?

Pathfinder1

sucks, but i'd just call springfield and tell the gun is coming back again. given you had some issues at the start, they should have tested the crap out of that gun.

you start messing around with stuff and there's a decent chance they won't be willing to work on it.

Edited by davsco

I've come to that same conclusion today davsco. I think ltdmstr and the others have some good ideas related to the problem, but I think the best thing to do at this point is to, yes, send it back (again) early in the game and just let them fix it. And your right, they should have done a complete reliability check the first time. Just costs them money to have the pistolsmiths/armorers do it all over again. I've had 3 business' in my time and I can tell you it comes down to management and QC on the front end of production.

Sending it back is fine if that's what you want to do. But shipping handguns is pretty darn expensive these days. Plus you have the turn around time. Tuning an extractor is easy and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Takes me longer than that to pack a gun and drive it over to FedEx or UPS.

Gun was never right from the "get go". I'll let them fix it. Pretty sure they'll pay the shipping/RMA. Nothing I can do about the down time but eat it.

Also the barrel link has a bind in it I noticed the other day. So could be more than extractor. Bad barrel link? Springs? or combo of several.

Edited by Pathfinder1

I've come to that same conclusion today davsco. I think ltdmstr and the others have some good ideas related to the problem, but I think the best thing to do at this point is to, yes, send it back (again) early in the game and just let them fix it. And your right, they should have done a complete reliability check the first time. Just costs them money to have the pistolsmiths/armorers do it all over again. I've had 3 business' in my time and I can tell you it comes down to management and QC on the front end of production.

As somebody else pointed out: if you are going to shoot a 1911, you will need to learn how to tune an extractor sooner or later. It's not hard to do, the Wilson Combat maintenance booklet (about $12) has detailed assembly/disassembly instructions with photos on every step.

It's worth learning how to keep your gun running if you plan to shoot it much.

Edited by bountyhunter

Gun was never right from the "get go". I'll let them fix it. Pretty sure they'll pay the shipping/RMA. Nothing I can do about the down time but eat it.

Also the barrel link has a bind in it I noticed the other day. So could be more than extractor. Bad barrel link? Springs? or combo of several.

sucks, but i'd just call springfield and tell the gun is coming back again. given you had some issues at the start, they should have tested the crap out of that gun.

you start messing around with stuff and there's a decent chance they won't be willing to work on it.

Thanks bountyhunter. I've owned 1911's and extensively shot them and participated in USPSA/IPSC on and off since 1989, so self maintenance etc isn't my issue, and as we all know "tuning an extractor isn't exactly "rocket science". So my thinking on the situation is more in line with (see the quotes).I'll give a range report when it comes back again. Edited by Pathfinder1

Were saying the same things except I wouldn't say 9mm is more finicky just finicky in different ways. Ever try to make a non-Tripp research .40 single stack mag work? Hahaha good luck.

I have two .40 1911's and 0ne 9mm 1911 and 9mm is harder to get to feed because the cartridge is tapered. That makes it more prone to nose diving. One of the mag makers formed a small "feed ramp" at the front of the mag to help prevent this.

None of the 10 round mags feed reliably for me when loaded to 10 but do when loaded to hold nine. I think the 9mm are more prone to magazine related problems but not gun problems.

Pathfinder1, I hope it all works out for you. These things are mechanical and Murphy is alive, but no excuses for big QC issues. As posted above, I am a big fan of SA. I have another 9mm SA on backorder - eta Summer I am being told. So, you buy what you can get. I picked up a Trojan from Dawson in 9mm.

My first impressions before shooting is tight nice gun. Did not see any quality issues. Just felt good.

My first trip to the range resulted in slightly different outcome. After about 5 mag changes "under the clock", the mag catch came loose. No Problem - small screw driver - all is well. Then it happened again.

Am I ready to toss the gun - nope. Will I call Dawson and ask "what to do" Yes. (The advice above to learn a little of 1911 smithing is almost required in this game)

The Trojan seems to be a real shooter and I am glad I picked one up. Will I cancel my SA on order? - Heck NO. But one key point, all of my SA have been to their custom shop. I get them, shoot them a little, write down a "punch list" and then ship them to the custom shop. Yes, it is a big investment in the end. But my SA are just perfect too me.

BTW - I will do same with the Trojan.

Thanks guys...all, good feedback. I think I'd have to agree with bountyhunter's assessment of 9mm' 1911's to the 40 cals.

I contacted Rob at SA warranty shop. He was super understanding and apologetic about me having this significant problem immediately after just getting the gun back from them for repairs (almost 5 weeks it was there) for warranty work the first time. Anyway, he said he would send me an overnight RMA, which he did, and when they received the pistol he would put it to the front of the repair line and get it back to me ASAP. Like I've said before, yes it could be just one issue making the gun "choke", or a combination of things especially being fresh out of the box. IE no prior base line history on it.

Sorry to deviate from the subject, but so I don't have to bother the moderators, does anyone know why when I go to write a reply the tool bar above the text isn't active and it can't be used? It's that "milked hazed over" look where you can see thru to all the icons, but your mouse can't use any of them. I went to settings and couldn't find anything to activate them. Probably something dumb and simple I'm missing. Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

So here's what I did regarding the extraction "choking" problem. I sent it back to SA on Thursday 12/12/13 after talking to warranty repair department and received the RMA (their dime).

I got it back totally fixed/remedied on 12/24/13 Xmas eve day (so 12days out). Day after Xmas I took it to the range, shot about 200 rounds of a combination of 115g White Box, 147g White box, and a 100rounds of my 125g lead Missouri Small Ball at 1.05 OAL.
The gun shot everything flawlessly. Not even one "choke".

Here's what they did to it listed on the packing list:1. deburred barrel lugs, 2.refit guide rod (looks like they lathed it), 3. reamed chamber, 4. adjusted extractor and lastly range tested and sent me a 25yd target with 5 shot holes showing 2.5" group.

That being said I'm very happy with the gun now and it's probably better (especially the "first time around" slide/frame fit they did), than a Loaded right out of the box that fired properly. The down side is all the time it took.

It's interesting to note what the gunsmith actually did to correct it, vs all of our well reasoned out speculation. At least to me it is. And I am very appreciative of all of your input. :) I would have bet on the extractor being the culprit, (ie being faulty)especially with that little suspicious little chip out of it.

Edited by Pathfinder1