Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A somewhat in depth look at how to tune an AR

DonovanM

This seems like the right place to ask this -

Currently running a carbine stock/buffer tube/spring with a "H" buffer. 16" mid gas Wilson Combat Barrel, JP lo-mass BCG, Syrac adj gas block and Surefire MB556 brake.

Going to change to a MOE stock/rifle buffer tube/TTI light spring.

My question is ---- will I need to remove one or more of the weights in the "H" buffer? As near as I can tell the JP lightened buffer weight is the same as the "H" buffer so I should be close?

Your H buffer is a carbine length, you will need a rifle length buffer.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently running a carbine stock/buffer tube/spring with a "H" buffer. 16" mid gas Wilson Combat Barrel, JP lo-mass BCG, Syrac adj gas block and Surefire MB556 brake.

My question is ---- will I need to remove one or more of the weights in the "H" buffer? As near as I can tell the JP lightened buffer weight is the same as the "H" buffer so I should be close?

Bummer. I knew you couldn't use a rifle buffer in a carbine tube as it was too long, but thought the opposite was ok. Evidently not, so it's off to order the JP Low Mass Rifle buffer.....

Bummer. I knew you couldn't use a rifle buffer in a carbine tube as it was too long, but thought the opposite was ok. Evidently not, so it's off to order the JP Low Mass Rifle buffer.....

Before you order the JP, you can buy a regular rifle buffer and remove the steel weights and replace them with something like a a length of delrin rod. Mine came out to 2.9 oz and much easier on the wallet.

Before you order the JP, you can buy a regular rifle buffer and remove the steel weights and replace them with something like a a length of delrin rod. Mine came out to 2.9 oz and much easier on the wallet.

This works quite well.

This works quite well.

What diameter rod did you use. I know I could go measure, but I'm at my office and impatient so I want to order the delrin now.

What diameter rod did you use. I know I could go measure, but I'm at my office and impatient so I want to order the delrin now.

I used a 1/2" diameter, it was the closest I could find that dropped right in. I think to get the 2.9 oz I have 1 steel weight, the hollow spacer, and replaced 4 weights with the delrin rod. The insides still shake around and haven't seen a problem in the last 2 years of running it.

I used a 1/2" diameter, it was the closest I could find that dropped right in. I think to get the 2.9 oz I have 1 steel weight, the hollow spacer, and replaced 4 weights with the delrin rod. The insides still shake around and haven't seen a problem in the last 2 years of running it.

Thanks!