Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightened slide?

ALF

A friend and I are discussing the pros and cons of having a lightened slide. Like for instance the one shown below.

post-8601-0-77693800-1385798773_thumb.gi

Because the slide is lighter will it slide faster not by much but still.

But what we are worried about is that the slide can develop cracks easier than a normal slide? :o

Any thought and inputs is appreciated. :)

Edited by ALF

For a given load it will definitely cycle faster - Force = Mass x Acceleration, so as mass goes down acceleration goes up.

As far as cracks, that's a lot harder to assess. If the lightening is done with holes and the holes are put in low stress regions of the slide, then fatigue shouldn't be an issue.

the major factor is the bad-assedness. I look at a guy with a glock, and it screams rookie noob. I look at a guy with a zev lightened TiN glock or an EDGE so full of holes it looks like swiss cheese and I assume he's a master class lead slinger. :roflol:

it helps with the recoil impulse. My 6" cycles and feels faster than a 5" since it's so light, and I like that.

For a given load it will definitely cycle faster - Force = Mass x Acceleration

There's much more to be considered before you start chopping up your prized pistol. Cha-lee started a great thread on the topic here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183028&page=1

When a pistol cycles there are linear forced, rotational forces, many frictional surfaces and multiple springs at play. I, like so many others, only considered what would look really bad ass and was not very happy with the way it changed the characteristics of the recoil impulse. Fortunately different shooters have different preferences and I found someone who really likes it.

Edited by kneelingatlas

For a given load it will definitely cycle faster - Force = Mass x Acceleration

There's much more to be considered before you start chopping up your prized pistol. Cha-lee started a great thread on the topic here: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183028&page=1

When a pistol cycles there are linear forced, rotational forces, many frictional surfaces and multiple springs at play. I, like so many others, only considered what would look really bad ass and was not very happy with the way it changed the characteristics of the recoil impulse. Fortunately different shooters have different preferences and I found someone who really likes it.

I will only lightened my slide on a 6" gun. I have a lightened slide 5" Limited gun and I can feel the recoil more than the traditional slide gun.

As I shoot minor with a 9mm Infinity with a full lengt dustcover and a steel grip is recoil not a problem.

I am debating lightening my slide on a 6 inch gun in the future. I think I am going to build it and shoot it first. Can't a lightened slide cause more recoil impulse rearward because the slide will move faster? I understand how it would not move the gun forward as much as it closes; but, couldn't this be fixed by a lighter spring?

Dunno, I've got three six inch pistols in 40 S&W, one weighs 36 ounces, one weighs 42 ounces, and one weighs 49 ounces. My most used blaster is the 36 ounce one. I shoot 180's, 200's, and 220's in 'em all at major PF and the lightest pistol feels the best with any bullet weight.

I am debating lightening my slide on a 6 inch gun in the future. I think I am going to build it and shoot it first. Can't a lightened slide cause more recoil impulse rearward because the slide will move faster? I understand how it would not move the gun forward as much as it closes; but, couldn't this be fixed by a lighter spring?

First, is this whole thread a troll, I'm confused, I can't tell if anyone is serious? Lol

Less mass reciprocating should result in less "impulse". If I'm to understand your use of impulse as to mean recoil or movement of gun when fired.

I shot a non lightened open gun. When I finally got the slide lightened the gun settled quicker after the first shot. To put it another way, I didn't feel like I was waiting on the gun after the slide was lightened.

Edited by Chris iliff

i was NOT serious. I have had my ass handed to me by guys with stock gear, and I have whooped guys with limcats. You can't ever tell a book by it's cover, for sure. You can gauge a shooter pretty well by how they move at the load and make ready, or practice draws. someone that is solid will move differently than a rookie. Hard to explain, but watch it at the next match.

lightening the slide pretty much changes the way recoil feels to the individual shooter. people have preferences and build their gear to to meet how they like to shoot. I can shoot my 45 loaded to the same PF with different powders, and true or not decide which recoil impulse I like more, when arguably they should be damn near the same. I like the way a lightened slide feels like my 5" 1911 with my ammo .but that's me. Try them all and see what gets your motor running most.

First, is this whole thread a troll, I'm confused, I can't tell if anyone is serious? Lol

Less mass reciprocating should result in less "impulse". If I'm to understand your use of impulse as to mean recoil or movement of gun when fired.

I shot a non lightened open gun. When I finally got the slide lightened the gun settled quicker after the first shot. To put it another way, I didn't feel like I was waiting on the gun after the slide was lightened.

Maybe I sounded stupid with my questions. I guess the best answer is that changing the slide weight changes the way the recoil feels and some people like different things. It is just a debate I have been having on how I want to build a gun and I saw this tread so I thought I would post.

yeah that's pretty much what it boils down to. If you can, shoot someone's set up with identical bits and different slides. maybe slap a glock 23 upper onto a 22 or a 35 frame, see how they feel for you with the same ammo. keep in mind the 35 and 22 should be the same weight, just different length.

it just gives us a chance to collect them all!

My first real competition gun was a STI edge after I shot a para p16 for awhile. I became very fast and super accurate with it. Thought it was a good idea to build a new edge although much lighter sold my edge to fund the project and was shooting within a month. Had the Brazos slide same as your pic from above and a Phoenix Trinity frame FDC great gun good fit but hated the recoil impulse was not a fan I could not settle on my second shot because the recoil or muzzle flip was much higher than before. I shot about 1k rounds if that before I sold it and ordered a Cameron's custom FDC and minimal slide lighting. The edge on there web page. I am a master shooter and prefer a heaver gun for flatter shooting I feel that I am much faster and my second shots are much better. Splits and transitions are alittle slower but can be worked on to get better. Lighter is not always better...