Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versamax trigger mods?

JPeel

I've searched and don't find any discussion of anyone doing mods to their v-max to improve / lighten the trigger. I'd like to take a pound or two out of the trigger but don't want to give up reliability.

Anyone got recommendations?

Smart ass comments about how I should have chosen a Benelli, or Beretta, or whatever are welcome too :)

I talked with Taren @ TTI yesterday asking if his reduced power hammer spring would work in the Versa Max. He said yes, he is clearly not a Versa Max fan. He didn't elaborate beyond yes it will work.

I also asked Bennie Hill when I sent him mine for lifter and port work if he did work to lighten the trigger. He does not.

I sure would like to lighten mine by a few pounds...thinking about getting the TTI spring and trying it.

I had C-rums do his trigger job on my VM at the same time I had him weld up my lifter. The trigger came back lighter for sure, but I had a huge number of light strikes due to the lighter hammer spring (using crap ammo, I didn't try too many different kinds of shells before I gave up on it). I put the stock hammer spring back in, which Jeff sent back with my trigger group, and it works like a champ. I think the trigger may still be a little bit lighter/ smoother than it was out of the box, but it's hard to tell. If I had to do it over again I'd just leave the trigger stock like Benny recommends and shoot the crap out of it.

Thanks all. I'm using a C-rums lifter already. I got the Benelli spring kit from TTI and will give them a try at the least. If they don't work then I'm only out a few bucks and a little time.

Since the M2 and Versa trigger groups are much the same, one could expect much the same results with the TTI springs...and those would be excellent.

This makes me wish I'd had the time to change them out last night. Range time today but not again for a couple of more weeks :(

Ok, the springs are installed and I'll get to the range later, but first impressions are good. The lifter spring is stronger and the trigger feels better. I don't have a trigger weight gauge so I can't say for certain but it feels somewhat lighter.

I did discover that the hammer spring cap can fly a damn long way if you happen to not get it captured in the process of re-assembly. It took me 15 minutes to find it!

And after having way too much fun shooting a Texas star over and over and over... it works! I really noticed the difference when shooting the star from the top-down. I was able to fire quicker when transitioning plate to plate. I wasn't able to do that very well with the stock configuration.

You can do a little trimming and polishing on the engagement surfaces and reduce spring power as well...you will also need to figure out how to harden the hammer so it doesnt mushroom or wear out the engagment shelves. You have to be careful reducing spring power and cutting the hammer too much. If you get crazy with it you will end up with a runaway !! Adjusting the reset distance is next to impossible unless you design another sear and disconnect set.

Hadley O.