Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hands-on feedback on 1911 Magwells

cheers623

I've had the SV single-stack magwells on my pistols for a few (5-6) years and like everything about them except that they loosen up with extensive dry-fire reloads. The little adjustment screws get beat up and eventually the magwell starts slipping to one or other side of the frame. I'm looking at the Dawson Ice version and was looking for feedback on A) it's ease of use during reloads and B) durability over the long haul. I've looked at the Techwell and while it looks good, I don't like the grip options and being locked into those grips. I'd consider a weld-on or bolt-on like the Heinie if they are big and reliable enough.

Thoughts? Feedback from folks that have both the SV and Dawson?

Thanks,

Cheers623

DVX

Edited by cheers623

I've had the Ice for awhile now and I really like the no gap version. It does take some basepad manipulation. I run Wilson 47D's with the .625 basepads and they must be trimmed to fit the box.

I've never had any trouble with it moving, loosening. Any issues with not being able to hit the huge hole where strictly my own.

Dawson Ice No Gap on my main 45 SS gun. No problems this season with it both in Dry fire, Live Fire and Matches. I used a dremel and made a very light cit in the no gap plastic insert for the no gap base pad to slide i a little easier. It would load with what I felt was extreme pressure. I'm using Wilson 47D mags with the Wilson no Gap base pads.

No failures after the little tuning/fitting of insert.

I have regular Ice Gap inserts in 4 other guns, oviously I like them and trust them for match use

Still run S&A on my carry guns