Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bayou 160gr RN in Glock 34

Stician

I ran a search and didn't find a discussion on this bullet. I've been running my Glock 34 in SSP using Bayou 147gr with N320 all year. Initially loaded them at 1.14" OAL and 3.4gr of N320 ~ 920fps indoor chrono. Been cycling them successfully down to 3.2gr N320 using 11lb ISMI spring and a ZEV standard trigger kit.

Lately I've wavering on whether to run tried and true 40 S&W minor out of my Glock 35 or go in the direction of Bayou's 160gr 9mm bullet. It appears to be longer than the 147gr so I would increase OAL to keep headspace similar to my 147gr load before messing with too many variables at the same time.

Goal is to have fun and go down a less traveled path. I'm not looking to improve splits or cycle faster, my biggest hinderance to reaching Master (3rd SSP/EX at Liberty Match) is angles, getting in and out of positions more efficiently, make less small mistakes and improve accuracy at speed.

Has anyone tried them?

I just talked to my reloading buddy about that. We plan to get an order together and try them out soon. If you get it done before us, let us know your results and we'll do the same. I have seen a few comments on here about them being sluggish but I like that in minor loads. Thanks...

A few guys around me tried the Bayou/ Ibejiheads 160gr in 9mm for a while, but most of them went back to 147s. Not sure it was that much of a big help for them.

Word of advise: shooting 160's is not going to get you to IDPA Master.

Better fundamentals will. Grip harder. Dry fire. Be more ready to shoot when getting into position. Be explosive with movement. Proper trigger manipulation. Use the front sight on both shots.

A few guys around me tried the Bayou/ Ibejiheads 160gr in 9mm for a while, but most of them went back to 147s. Not sure it was that much of a big help for them.

Better fundamentals will. Grip harder. Dry fire. Be more ready to shoot when getting into position. Be explosive with movement. Proper trigger manipulation. Use the front sight on both shots.

You just can't help but replay that sermon for the choir huh? :-D

You just can't help but replay that sermon for the choir huh? :-D

Yea.. I know.. sorry... its the truth though.. didn't mean to state the obvious..

I have used Bayou 160's in my Glock 34 for the past 3 years. In that time I have shot thousands of them. I love my load and I think its the best load for production I have developed so far. Its really a feeling thing...the 160's take the "push" recoil impulse that you get from 147's just a little further. Accuracy is no different from the 147's I have shot and I never had one tumble on me.

My Load info:

Bayou 160

Mixed Brass

Federal SPP Primer

2.7 gr N320 Powder (I also use titegroup at 2.7gr in my practice load)

1.140 OAL

I have used Bayou 160's in my Glock 34 for the past 3 years. In that time I have shot thousands of them. I love my load and I think its the best load for production I have developed so far. Its really a feeling thing...the 160's take the "push" recoil impulse that you get from 147's just a little further. Accuracy is no different from the 147's I have shot and I never had one tumble on me.

My Load info:

Bayou 160

Mixed Brass

Federal SPP Primer

2.7 gr N320 Powder (I also use titegroup at 2.7gr in my practice load)

1.140 OAL

BAM! Do you recall fps? KKM barrel?

Thanks

We don't shoot IDPA and have no interest in being a master at it. We are just having fun trying to find a good target load and use it for steel mostly but thanks for the ADVICE :)

We don't shoot IDPA and have no interest in being a master at it. We are just having fun trying to find a good target load and use it for steel mostly but thanks for the ADVICE :)

The OP specifically mentioned making master in IDPA, I was just trying to help. IDPA bashing not necessary please.

Damn gramarians..

The OP specifically mentioned making master in IDPA, I was just trying to help. IDPA bashing not necessary please.

Damn gramarians..

No bashing at all, I think IDPA is awesome...just not what I was doing with it and the OP and I seemed to have one thing in common...that statement right before he said about the hindrance to making Master (...Goal is to have fun and go down a less traveled path.), which had nothing to do with the statements above. It's all good, just wanted to stay on topic of the loading and not get off topic about making master. Thanks anyway...

I also run a 160gr bayou, got the initial loading from Eric, but I've switched it up to 3.3gr WST @1.12-1.125oal = 135.6pf crimp @ .375 and its one of the softest loads I've ever shot. 5 shot groups out of a Stock 2 at 10yds is .75" and 2.5" groups at 25yds, this is just shooting off a bag.

I also run a 160gr bayou, got the initial loading from Eric, but I've switched it up to 3.3gr WST @1.12-1.125oal = 135.6pf crimp @ .375 and its one of the softest loads I've ever shot. 5 shot groups out of a Stock 2 at 10yds is .75" and 2.5" groups at 25yds, this is just shooting off a bag.

Cool, I'm not very familiar with all CZ variants but I think based on shorter OAL I think you have Tanfoglio. I dig them, actually got started in IDPA with a 75 Shadow for six months.

Yes tanfoglio, but I've ran this load through my G34's as well and they were very similar over the chrono. I tested this load from 1.10 to 1.155 oal's and the load I posted above is the oal and charge combo that produced the most accurate loads.

From what I've been told 160s are not as popular as 147s because it's harder to get an accurate load in the 130PF range; if the bullets aren't going fast enough they start to tumble. I actually have some 135s loaded ~127PF that are powder puffs.

Nope. You can shoot 200 grain bullets from a .38 Special at 600 fps and they'll be stable, and that's with a slower twist. A 160 at Minor is right in the sweet spot for .38 Special, and it works in 9x19 as well. If 160 grain bullets are tumbling from a 9x19, it's a load development problem rather than a bullet weight problem. FWIW, I've had this happen to me with 147 grain LFPs and Clays; just a bad combination of components.