Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thoughts On Lower Receivers

GregSmith

Huge fan of the Noveske lowers. I have 4 now and they make it much easier to change mags due to the wide magwell opening. I bought the chainsaw versions since I am going to be throwing it in a barrel anyway. I bought a Seeking forged lower and the billet one and actually like the forged one better for reloads though the billet one wins on style points.

there are only 4 functional differences I can think of on billet vs. forged lowers:

-billet lowers tend to have integrated trigger guards which is a weak point on regular forged lowers and another annoying roll pin

plus for billet

-billet lowers sometimes have more greatly flared magwells

plus for billet

-billet lowers are more expensive than regular forged lowers

plus for forged

-a billet lower will be slightly weaker than a forged lower of identical geometry

plus for forged

If money wasn't an issue I would get a Noveske Gen II lower since it is forged, has a flared magwell, and has an integrated trigger guard.

Down side to the Noveske Gen II is it will not work with Surefire mags.

Pat

there are only 4 functional differences I can think of on billet vs. forged lowers:

-billet lowers tend to have integrated trigger guards which is a weak point on regular forged lowers and another annoying roll pin

plus for billet

plus for billet

plus for forged

-a billet lower will be slightly weaker than a forged lower of identical geometry

plus for forged

If money wasn't an issue I would get a Noveske Gen II lower since it is forged, has a flared magwell, and has an integrated trigger guard.

Pat

It's just a Dremel away from working. :D I thought the more recent lots of Noveske lower would work.

plus for billet

plus for billet

plus for forged

plus for forged

Pat

It's just a Dremel away from working. :D I thought the more recent lots of Noveske lower would work.

Was not aware they changed it. Cool if they did.

Pat

Only problem with billet lowers is that any idiot with a chunk of aluminum and a CNC machine can make one. I bought one that was a thing of beauty but not quite dimensionally correct. I gave up trying to make it work and it now hangs on the wall as a lesson.