Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New USPSA Shooter - Which Division?

FireNHole

I believe they take the best four out of the most recent six classifier stages for your initial classification, and after that it is calculated as the best six of the most recent eight classifier stages. At least that is what it just did for me. I just got my first classification and managed to eek out a "C" in limited 10 shooting minor. So now I am a very very small fish competing in a big pond.

I was really trying to start in one division to get a rank quicker so I could start putting down some longer term goals but I suppose I could do that regardless. Am I right to think that it takes like 8 matches to get a rank?

keep your eyes out for a classifier special match nearby. Normal matches only have 1 classifier, and you need at least 4 to get classified initially, but classifier special matches have 4 or more classifiers, so they are useful for getting an initial classification in a hurry.

I did not read them all, but here is what I think.

Shoot Production. Call me a purist or whatever, but your gun fits the division.

You say you are competitive. Good!!!! So, if you are going to want a heads up analysis, then shoot straight up against other production shooters.

Shooting limited minor tells you what? Yes you get a feel for the game, maybe a little bit more comfortable, big deal, it's a wash. After 10 years I still get butterfly's and the occasional shakes.

My advice is shoot what you have, a nice production gun, in the best suited division.

Learn and compare from DAY 1 what it's gonna take to climb the ranks. How you gonna cpare anything shooting minor in a major division? I guess you could convert all your scores, but then how do you figure "out" your extra reloads?

Shake off the fallacy that other divisions are easier, they are not. All divisions require profient gun handling. Shake off any feeling that you should compare yourself to another guy in a different division.

Here is everything in a nutshell. BE EFFICIENT, SHOOT A's.

Good luck.

That is some very great advice Chris. I really appreciate you putting it into a perspective tailored to my train of thought =). Looking back on practiscore it definitely looks like my production class at my local club has the most competition. Looking forward to it!

I believe they take the best four out of the most recent six classifier stages for your initial classification, and after that it is calculated as the best six of the most recent eight classifier stages. At least that is what it just did for me. I just got my first classification and managed to eek out a "C" in limited 10 shooting minor. So now I am a very very small fish competing in a big pond.

Great job on the C class and thank you for that info!

I was really trying to start in one division to get a rank quicker so I could start putting down some longer term goals but I suppose I could do that regardless. Am I right to think that it takes like 8 matches to get a rank?

keep your eyes out for a classifier special match nearby. Normal matches only have 1 classifier, and you need at least 4 to get classified initially, but classifier special matches have 4 or more classifiers, so they are useful for getting an initial classification in a hurry.

I had no idea that it worked that way. I was under the initial impression that it was an entire match that was used as a classifier not a single stage. I will keep the lookout for a special classifier match as well. Besides my local USPSA match there are plenty of others every month in my state but they are all 3 hours away. That wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't just have twin boys =).

Classifiers are nothing more than an individual stage. My club runs a classifier match once a year in Jul where we typically have 5 classifier stages and a field course stage. We then also have another 3-4 individual classifier stages sprinkled throughout the year at matches for a total of about 10 per year so getting classified and then moving up is not too difficult ...

Edited by Nimitz

OPINION !

You have a Glock G-34 that will fit nice in about anything but Revo.

Shoot a few of of your choice to decide what you like.

Go to USPSA.com and print the Rule Book about 35 pages and /or if a new member you should have recieved a rule book.

Have FUN,

Be SAFE,

Perry

Shoot Production. You have a popular production pistol with your Glock 34. Shooting Glock will enable you to channel all your focus to shooting. I have spent my first 3 mos maybe trying to figure out the right combination for my SVI to work. With Glock you just grab your gun and ammo and go.

Production will teach you to be more efficient, making every round count, learn economy of movement to save on time, reload fast, and lastly learn strategy to maximize your magazine limit.

For me, I am still shooting production (glock 34) to work on the fundamental of accuracy and then speed... I have seen guys that spend a lot of money on limited guns and just cannot keep up with the more experienced shooters in the limited division....

I have seen guys that spend a lot of money on limited guns and just cannot keep up with the more experienced shooters in the limited division....

Nonsense! Shoot what you want in whatever division you want. If you want to shoot a $4,000 Open gun, you're going to get it eventually, so why waste thousands on lesser setups just because you're afraid other shooters won't think you've 'earned it'?

Personally I find it easier to work on the fundamentals with fewer distractions: it's easier to learn how to stage plan when you only have to worry about one reload instead of three; it's easier to reload with a 140mm mag and a giant mag well; you get the picture...