Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA importsto US vs everywhere else in the world

prk

Is the Witness Elite Limited just a model for EAA to import into the US? The Tanfoglio.it website shows their Limited with a standard barrel , short dustcover and no magwell. Their Limited Custom is more like EAA's Elite Limited but slide cuts , alum grips , and not hard chromed.

10677104866_031d717c60_c.jpg
Elite Limited by targheeee, on Flickr
10677327073_a277b06e5e_z.jpg
tanfolimited.it by targheeee, on Flickr
10677115726_4df35a95b2_z.jpg
limitedcustom by targheeee, on Flickr

The top is the one imported to the US by EAA, I have one like the middle which was not imported by EAA and bears no markings from EAA which I got from a fellow member here (I have no idea where it came from) and I've seen only pictures of the bottom one; I think it was on the slate to be imported under the IFG name (same owners as EAA), but that was a failure to launch... I know there were some Bud's customers who though they were ordering the bottom one but got something else because of mixed up part numbers/pictures on their website.

I know - even the EAA website is like a blind grab bag -- there are no pictures for many of the parts and conversion kits and for a long time the weights were WAYYY off - I'm not sure if they fixed that yet --- the problem with Tanfo's " affordable " Match Elite line is it's too heavy for IDPA ESP - I know lot's of guys contemplating milling off the rail -- but I warned them I'm pretty sure it's hard chromed and unless you want to refinish it you may have a weird looking gun!

I am in CO today and I spend a few hours with Henning. He is a blast to hang out with... BTW- we spoke about all the guns, and he told me his favorite gun is the Limited gun. We talked aout the 6" hunter in 40, but still thinks the Limited is a faster gun to shoot.

Would slide cuts lighten enough to make it worth the longer barrel?

I thought so too, but it is personal preference I guess. Henning said no matter how light the slide was in the 6" gun, the 5" gun was a better shooter. Of course he is a very skilled shooter, so you need to take that in consideration as well.

Food for thought: the reason a long slide (4.75" barrel) shoots smoother than a compact slide (3.6" barrel) is the longer recoil system, but the recoil system of a 6" Tanfo is the same length as the long slide. At some length you reach the point of diminishing returns and more recoil system just takes longer to cycle.

Notice many of the 6" 2011s out there have the same length recoil systems as their 5" counterparts. Even the CZ TS uses a recoil system which doesn't go all the way to the muzzle.

The nice thing about a 6" barrel is the extra velocity although I found with fast powder the effect is not as drastic as going from a 4" barrel to a 5" barrel in an Open gun burning slow powder.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got around to starting my ten day waiting period on my Limited like this one:

10677327073_a277b06e5e_z.jpg

(Yes, the process of getting a Tanfo into CA is insane!)

I got a good look at it today and it's actually an IFG imported Limited and has the serial number 00014! It's a neat souvenir of EAA's short lived attempt to reinvent it's image.

Edited by kneelingatlas