Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titegroup and P226

blewis3

I have just started competing in IDPA and have a question about some loads. I have a Sig P226 and am shooting 125 gr berrys plated bullets. I was using Unique but have decided to switch to Titegroup because I didnt like the way Unique measured in my LNL. I had some problems during my last match with the slide not locking back on empty so I decided to test two different loads on the titegroup to see what they would do.

I loaded up two @ 4.2 gr and two @ 4.3 gr. at a COAL of 1.140 to 1.150. The two @ 4.2 gr would not lock the slide back on empty but the 4.3 gr did. But looking at the load data from the Hodgdon website the max load is 4.4 gr with a 125 gr FMJ and I know a lot of people load titegroup at 4.1 and 4.0 and do not have any problems.

Any suggestions or comments?

BTW, I greased the rails ang cleaned the pistol before my last match where I had the problems.

Thanks

You really need to chronograph your loads. If you don't have one, they have become very affordable and you don't have to spend a lot. Don't reload without being able to check your loads. Your problem seems to be mechanical, I don't think its your load. I run 4.0 of TG with a MG 124 JHP at 1.140' out of a shadow and get 128 PF.

I shoot a 226 in production and SSP. I load Berry's 124 FPs over 4.0 grains of Titegroup loaded to 1.064 and make minor PF without issue. Haven't had any issue having the slide fail to lock back.

FWIW, it's pretty common for folks new to the Sig platform to have issues with the slide not locking to the rear. The most common cause is some sort of shooter contact (usually the meaty part of the support hand or thumb of the strong hand) with the slidelock lever itself.

Edited by taadski

I shoot a 226 in production and SSP. I load Berry's 124 FPs over 4.0 grains of Titegroup loaded to 1.064 and make minor PF without issue. Haven't had any issue having the slide fail to lock back.

FWIW, it's pretty common for folks new to the Sig platform to have issues with the slide not locking to the rear. The most common cause is some sort of shooter contact (usually the meaty part of the support hand or thumb of the strong hand) with the slidelock lever itself.

I have been shooting the Sig for about a year now and this has just started happening. I thought it might be my grip also, but when I tested the loads, I made sure I wasnt contacting the slide lock and it still didnt lock back on the load with 4.2 gr.

The pistol was purchased in 1984 and was shot very little until I started to compete in the local IDPA matches about a year ago. I am using the Mecgar mags, so I don't think it is the mag spring or follower since it has happened with more than one mag. Is there any internal springs which could be the problem?

Thanks

I have been shooting the Sig for about a year now and this has just started happening. I thought it might be my grip also, but when I tested the loads, I made sure I wasnt contacting the slide lock and it still didnt lock back on the load with 4.2 gr.

The pistol was purchased in 1984 and was shot very little until I started to compete in the local IDPA matches about a year ago. I am using the Mecgar mags, so I don't think it is the mag spring or follower since it has happened with more than one mag. Is there any internal springs which could be the problem?

Thanks

The magazine followers have a small ledge that when no rounds are present pushes up on a tab on the slide catch lever. The lever then integrates with a notch on the slide itself to lock it to the rear. If you remove the slide on your pistol and then insert an empty magazine into the frame, you can see how the mechanism works. There is a slide catch lever spring (that attaches to the locking block) that is responsible for keeping the catch lever down and out of the way. As noted above, it gets overpowered by the magazine spring/follower when empty to allow the slide to lock to the rear. If this spring was recently replaced (i.e.- is too strong) and the magazine spring was excessively weak, it could hypothetically cause issues. Usually, in my experience, weak magazine springs manifest in other (feeding type) issues well before this happens though and if it's the spring that has always been in the gun, I'd rule that out.

I'd still suspect some kind of shooter interference with the lever. ;-) The old standby test is to shoot it support hand only and see if it'll lock back then. If it does, you've defined your problem.

t

4.0 TG 125gr MT Gold. PF 130 = or - OAL based on gun/mag

after your basic load is working for power factor, next thing to do is deal with recoil springs for function of gun and shoot ability for the individual shooter.

I've shot Sigs for years and still hit the slide stop with regularity!

I used to shot Sigs. My P226s were 9mm & 40 S&W and never had a problem with either gun. You definitely have to watch the placement of the support hand thumb. Always made sure that the thumb was resting on the lower part of the frame below the slide release. I now shoot 1911s & 2011s and all my mags are setup not to lock back. I count my shots. It's a little harder in IDPA since you can't drop on the ground an empty mag with one still in the chamber. Majority of the time in IDPA I pocket the mag and reload, or shoot till empty, drop the mag, reload, and rack. If you learn to count your shots it does not matter whether the slide locks back or not. Don't grease your slide, just lightly oil it. P226 does not need a lot of lubrication and definitely no grease.

I loaded a lot of ammo for major matches for my SIL shooting my 226 with Zero JHP 125gr and to be sure it made crono every time 4.3gr of TiteGroup. My suggestion is get off the plated and get jacketed bullets Montana Gold, Zero, Hornady.

I've never had trouble metering anything in the LNL, maybe you need to go down to the auto parts start get a can of brake cleaner and remove all lubricant from all parts of the powder measure and drop tube, inside and out. Loaded 100k's with absolutely no lube of any kind on mine, never bridges.

Put a washer under the primer seater, and remember rule one, if brute force isn't working you are just not using enough, a good hardy jab seats primers all the way.