Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dawson Sight Issue...

Magsz

Heya guys,

I installed a Dawson Fiber front into my Limited Pro last week. I had to file the bottom of the sight a teeny bit and remove a few thousandths in order to get it to even start in the dovetail. I very LIGHTLY tabbed it in with the included nylon tipped punch and a mallet. It went in smoothly, ie properly BUT as i was hammering the sight in, i literally shaved the chrome lining off of the damned dovetail like slivers of cheese...

Today when shooting the dang thing the sight started wobbling in the dovetail...

Suggestions?

I can go the ghetto route and loctite the front sight in with some high temperature loctite and ensure the screw is firmly rooted or i can get another front sight but yeah...at this point im not sure if a new one will even fit properly.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Edited by Magsz

I rescind some of the above.

It was DEFINITELY shavings from the sight...lol. I took it out and the chrome lining was golden in the sight dovetail. The sight however was...not as it was definitively shaved down in size. If i had taken more off of the dovetail i do not believe the sight would have been snug.

Hrm...

Edited by Magsz

Been there done that too. IMO its cause you didn't use a LOT of loctite and/or dimple it enough.

Ive installed 4 Dawsons and 1 Stock Fiber. Its all in the loctite and dimple size. Dawson went to a new sight that uses the stock hole. Works SOOOOO much better. If this one is screwed order a new one straight from them.

Edited by praetorian97

Some of the Tanfoglio guns I've worked on look like they have had the sight staked in. So when you are fitting your sight you have to take material off to get it to start in the notch, then once it gets in there it will be a tiny bit loose.

I usually take a stone and open up the front of the dovetail if I can see that it has been closed up at all.