Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally happened

JayDee

At today's local match, I broke the 180 on the first stage of the day.

It was a stage that had a forward, downrange starting position and could either be shot moving backward down a narrow shooting area or some shooters would move backward quickly and then engage targets as they were moving forward, downrange.

I opted for the second option, to move quickly backward and then engage targets as I made forward progress downrange.

I was aware that moving up range (back from the start area) was a potential 180 trap so I was super aware of my muzzle as I backed up from the start position. So far, so good.

Where I screwed up was actually moving downrange and engaging targets. As I passed an array I realized that I scored a miss. As I rotated to pick up the missed shot, I heard the RO say "stop". I was so focused on not breaking the 180 in the first, backward movement through the stage that I forgot to stay vigilant on the "easier" part.

The whole squad was pretty supportive and I hung out and scored for the rest of the day. It was a huge bummer to DQ, but I learned a couple things:

1. just because you navigate a part of the stage with a 180 trap, you have to stay focused on the 180 for every part of the stage.

2. when shooting on the move, it is a lot easier to break the 180

3. plan the stage better. Anticipate opportunities to screw up and avoid them.

After talking to the RO, he suggested that for the part of the stage where i screwed up, that I would have been better stopping at a safe spot and engaging several close targets at once rather than risking a DQ and slower splits from shooting on the move.

I felt just awful, because I would never want to be unsafe. To be honest, I've had quite a bit of anxiety about getting a DQ, so I'm relieved that the squad was not irate with me and am happy to have such constructive squad mades. If any of you folks have similar lessons or advice, it would be appreciated.

I had my first one a few months ago and 8 people were DQd that day on the same stage. Not sure if you can call it bad stage design or mental mistakes. But I took it and stayed the rest of the day and helped out the squad. Cant say that of all the others, but it was the right thing to do.

I felt just awful, because I would never want to be unsafe. To be honest, I've had quite a bit of anxiety about getting a DQ, so I'm relieved that the squad was not irate with me and am happy to have such constructive squad mades. If any of you folks have similar lessons or advice, it would be appreciated.

I feel your pain. I had an RO tell me at a match that I almost broke the 180 and I felt so awful about it that I made a point to apologize to the RO once he was done working the stage.

I've witnessed a few DQs so far and I haven't seen anyone with a negative attitude about them whether it's the shooter who was DQed or their squad. I finally saw my first DQ by AD during "show clear". The funniest comment I heard was someone asking him whether he at least hit the target. :)

I know I'm going to DQ sooner or later. I've already seen some very experienced shooters have it happen to them. I'm dreading it, but I'll just take my lumps and be a patching and pasting grunt for the squad, do odd jobs for the MD, or whatever anyone needs done to make the match run smoother as penance for my sins.

Just got my first DQ today at a State match, not a 180 though..

Seems my mags got dirty on stage 1 and on 2 I had a bad failure to feed problem. While trying to clear it I must have had my finger in the wrong place.

Rules are rules and had to take it like a man. Got pulled off to the side while being spoken to, I smiled and said, no attitude from me, it's a learning thing.

So on to the next match, more prepared not to do the same thing....

V-S :blush:

• 2 weeks later...