Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-Gun practice during the off season

https://shop.ehobbyasia.com/

There is also no off season for me but to me this is a really fun way to dry fire at home and it works great as long as u watch ur sights and not your bb. I built a plate rack for $30.00 and use my ar-500 knock over steels to double tap and run around my garage and front yard. I warned my neighbors first and painted the gun flourescent orange.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot my third USPSA match today. Had no idea they had a USPSA match each month, EVERY month, and only about 40 minutes from my office. While there, they asked where I was from and were surprised I wasn't attending an indoor USPSA match every Tuesday evening that is only 15-20 minutes from home. Wanna guess where I will be spending my evening Tuesday?

Shotgun has been something I've picked up quick in 3-gun practice with all the emphasis people have put on it when talking to me about where people LOSE matches.Have been practicing shotgun reloads a lot at the office during lunches, with 8 shell reloads at 3sec standing and 3.5-4 while walking/scooting down the hallway.

Rifle has always been my strong skill, but I'm gonna build up practice upper from Taccom with a Primary Arms Aimpoint t1 clone (t1 on my limited rifle and the dot is similar on my Vortex 1-6).

Pistol has been my biggest weakness. I've never shot pistols much, don't own that many of them, and have now been to only my third pistol match. I've ordered an airsoft pistol that I intend to mod the grip to match close to my 3-gun pistol and use for offseason practice as well as practice during season. Planning to buy several sheets of thin metal that I will cut knockdown targets out with side cutters, then print off IPSC targets from card stock. Should make for some good practice in the office during two hour lunches if the airsoft gun proves to be accurate and reliable.

Shot my third USPSA match today. Had no idea they had a USPSA match each month, EVERY month, and only about 40 minutes from my office. While there, they asked where I was from and were surprised I wasn't attending an indoor USPSA match every Tuesday evening that is only 15-20 minutes from home. Wanna guess where I will be spending my evening Tuesday?

Shotgun has been something I've picked up quick in 3-gun practice with all the emphasis people have put on it when talking to me about where people LOSE matches.Have been practicing shotgun reloads a lot at the office during lunches, with 8 shell reloads at 3sec standing and 3.5-4 while walking/scooting down the hallway.

Rifle has always been my strong skill, but I'm gonna build up practice upper from Taccom with a Primary Arms Aimpoint t1 clone (t1 on my limited rifle and the dot is similar on my Vortex 1-6).

Pistol has been my biggest weakness. I've never shot pistols much, don't own that many of them, and have now been to only my third pistol match. I've ordered an airsoft pistol that I intend to mod the grip to match close to my 3-gun pistol and use for offseason practice as well as practice during season. Planning to buy several sheets of thin metal that I will cut knockdown targets out with side cutters, then print off IPSC targets from card stock. Should make for some good practice in the office during two hour lunches if the airsoft gun proves to be accurate and reliable.

Pistol is by far the hardest gun to shoot well of the three. The action pistol sports will teach you the footwork and movement you need to be efficient in 3 gun. Being able to compete with the USPSA Master class shooters will make you a top 3 gun pistol guy.

I'm hoping so. People are nice and fun to hang out with. All the super close paper at 1-8 yards and huge steel poppers at 7-8 yards reminds me of stage 2 at the ProAm. I shot one stage in 4.11 seconds, shooting 6 targets, all A's.....fast and fun.

Weird thing I didn't know about......3-gun matches at the club usually start around 9:30 and are over by around 3-4. USPSA match started at 9:30, we were done shooting by 1:00. Evidently someone was grilling at noon and there was lunch supplied for our entree fee!

Here's a good off-season drill that can be done indoors......

Stand in front of a full length mirror, hands relaxed at sides.

Address your reflection with a firm, confident voice....

"I KNOW I engaged that target!!!!"

(and here is where the mirror pays off) Watch for ANY eye tick or shifting of eyes side to side, DO NOT let your lip quiver whatsoever, remain calm and fixed on your reflection with a firm respectful gaze.....

Practice not letting doubt (or anger) creep into your voice, just firm insistance......

Practice a few (very few) placating or pleading hand motions at the same time, BUT DO NOT MAKE THIS AUTOMATIC!!!!

(This motion should only be used sparingly after "reading" the situation....)

To practice with a teammate, have him or her stand to the side and slightly to the rear holding a smart phone and SOFTLY, RESPECTFULLY repeating "I've got it on video if that helps....."

ericm