Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pike's Peak Shotgun Challenge

I wasn't expecting this kind of sponsor support for a first year shotgun match. A huge resounding thank you to all of our match partners. This is gonna be a really fun, grass roots kinda match. Fun, fun, fun!

Edited by co-exprs

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh, I can't believe I left you hangin on that request. My sincerest apologies.

There are several lodgings within a 10 min drive of the range.

Econo Lodge:

http://www.reservation-desk.com/hotel/192867/econo-lodge-airport/photos/?TID=socASPkxy_dc|pcrid|21412077597&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Becono%20%2Blodge%20%2Bairport%20%2Bcolorado%20%2Bsprings%20%2Bco&utm_campaign=Hotel%20Chain%20E&gclid=CKmmi9Gf5bwCFSISMwodHSwAEQ

Super Eight:

http://www.super8.com/hotels/colorado/colorado-springs/super-8-cos-hwy-24-e-pafb-area/hotel-overview

Holiday Inn Exprs:

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/colorado-springs/cosap/hoteldetail

Radisson:

http://www.radisson.com/colorado-springs-hotel-co-80916/colospri

Comfort:

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-colorado_springs-colorado-CO003

All of these locations are between the range and the airport and are all 10-12 min drive from the range as well as being close to dinning, Walmart, Sportsmans Warehouse and even close to the largest gun store in Colorado (Specialty Sports). There are a few other motels in this area as well, but most are either more expensive, or are small dives.

I spoke with the club manager. If you are flying into the match and don't want to deal with ammo, just call the club house and you can reserve a case of birdshot. They will scrible your name on the box and set it aside. You can pay for your ammo when you get here. The club house stocks several brands of shells and in various power levels and shot weights. The prices are competitive as well. I purchase most of my shells there because they are cost effective and you pay county taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0571_zpsae213741.jpg

IMG_0572_zpsb2acda04.jpg

IMG_0573_zps746473f4.jpg

There will be no flippin clays in our match. All of the vertical launch clays will come from Black Sheep kickers, who were recently added to the sponsor list. For those who don't know what these are... check em out here. http://www.blacksheepmanufacturing.com/Kicker_vs_Flipper_Video.html

While we are operating on a shoe string budget, you won't be getting a shoe string match. Rocky Mountain Targets just finished making the spinners and is currently making us falling steel targets designed not to spin on the base. They have finished the plate rack and we will be testing the entry door in a few weeks. Mark Passamaneck is supplying the nooks and practiscore along with a star and more knock downs. Several of the local clubs have volunteered more cool targets than I can use. All of the thrown birds will come from professional grade sporting clays throwers and will be activated by the shooter when the shooter wants to activate them. Most of the stages are fairly handing neutral and there is one stage designed for lefties. The club where we are shooting hosts lots of very large ATA events and will be hosting the 2014 Colorado State ATA shoot. All thrown clays will be called by the same judges used at the state trap event.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. I'm not super techno friendly, so it's taking me a bit of time to get the stages drawn. I'm a working stiff with teenage kids, so I have to work on it here and there as I have time. They'll be done well before the match.

Quick highlight... right now the target count stands at 186. There are 16 slug targets and 25 thrown birds. Some of the birds will be vertically launched from the Black Sheep kickers and some will be thrown from traditional sporting clays throwers. The longest slug shot will be about 70-ish yards on a 16" gong. All paper slug targets will be single hit to neutralize. The longest target count stage is 22. I will be testing all steel targets with my 24" Nova, running a LM choke and Walmart 3dram, target shells. I want this match to be fast and fun with minimal reshoots to keep things moving along. My goal is to ensure than anyone with a typical 3gun shotgun can show up with a case of target shells and 20 low recoil slugs and get through the match without too much drama.

Cheers!

Totally understand, I was more looking for the estimate round count per stage anyway. Going to be swapping gear with others on my squad since we only a couple of us actually have the gear and wanted to make sure I had enoughk and we should be good if the max is 22... BTW, thanks for getting all eight of us on the same squad as well.

-Price

Yep. I'm not super techno friendly, so it's taking me a bit of time to get the stages drawn. I'm a working stiff with teenage kids, so I have to work on it here and there as I have time. They'll be done well before the match.

Quick highlight... right now the target count stands at 186. There are 16 slug targets and 25 thrown birds. Some of the birds will be vertically launched from the Black Sheep kickers and some will be thrown from traditional sporting clays throwers. The longest slug shot will be about 70-ish yards on a 16" gong. All paper slug targets will be single hit to neutralize. The longest target count stage is 22. I will be testing all steel targets with my 24" Nova, running a LM choke and Walmart 3dram, target shells. I want this match to be fast and fun with minimal reshoots to keep things moving along. My goal is to ensure than anyone with a typical 3gun shotgun can show up with a case of target shells and 20 low recoil slugs and get through the match without too much drama.

Cheers!

Edited by pkm

Thanks Don! I think I will have my hands full trying to get everyone through 10 stages in one day. What was I thinking!? Tell you what... 4min turn arounds adds a whole other layer of complexity to the match. How to make the stages fast, furious and quickly reset, while making the stages fun and encorporating lots of movement. Whew... Mr Toad's wild ride!

PS... that ride scared the crap out of my kids! My son hid and my daughter turned into that alien in the Thing. You know, the one that terrorized Kurt Russel in Antarctica. Tenticles, fangs, gruel and everything! I thought I was gonna have to call a young priest and an old priest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am pleased to announce that the Pikes Peak Shotgun Challenge is full. All applications received after yesterday will be wait listed. There are a few slots which may open up, should the title and stage sponsors choose not to use them all. I'll keep you posted. I do however still have a few openings for staff. If you would like to work the match you can shoot for free, with the staff on Fri 5/16.

Edited by co-exprs

Can you give me an idea of what is illegal to bring into Colorado? I am setting up a 28" semi auto that will hold 12 in the tube. Being a non-resident will that work or should I just bring my 870 18" with 6 in the tube?

If I don't get in this year, I will be one of the first one to sign up next year.

Yep. Just to add to Mark's entry. Any length tube owned before July 1, 2013 is legal. 28" of magazine length is the new legal length. To be honest, I'm not sure how the 28" would be measured. I don't know if that is external length or internal and I also don't know where they measure from.

To be honest, I'm not sure how the 28" would be measured. I don't know if that is external length or internal and I also don't know where they measure from.

It is the length of the number of shells that the tube will physically accept.

For instance. The VersaTube 11, is 28.5" long, shell latch to end of cap. The coiled spring is approximately 1.6", so the 11 round VersaTube will accept 26.9" of shells. It does not matter if they are 1.5" or 3.5" shells, just the total sum of the length the tube will accept.