Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nosler vs Sierra

sschultz

From my experience... in general no. By in large Sierra's have been "better" for me.

For me 9/10 times the Sierra's have grouped better for me than the Noslers. In one upper (JP 18") the Nosler 77's performed better than Sierra 77's. All the rest of my uppers that I've had have shot Sierras (69's and 77's) better than the comparable Noslers.

About .25-.75 MOA better at 100 yards.

But IMHO Noslers are good enough for 3 gun. For 3 gun I have shot a lot more Noslers than Sierras.

I used Sierras for years because the two answers above were the most common. Then I got a bunch of Noslers off a prize table...That is what I use now.

I consistently get smaller groups with the Nolsers from 50 to 77 grains than I get with the Sierras. Could just be my recipes, but better is like 20 to 40% better out of my rifles.

I still shoot some Hornady and Sierra here and there, but when I need the best accuracy, I reach for the Noslers.

I have loaded some 69gr Noslers in the past but a Nosler rep gave me a box of 77s I am going to try. One of my local gunshops has a bulk pack of Nosler 77s in stock or do I wait till the CMMG match in MO and make a trip to Sierra.

Schultz

I have shot Nosler's in both 223 and 308. The 155's that I shot in a 308 AR shot very well, no appreciable difference noticeable from Sierra's, and they appear to be virtually identical to the Sierra 155 SMK's. It is really up to your individual rifle, but I would certainly give them a try. I have also found them to be more available as well.

I like them both but Nosler is cheaper (160 a 1000 vs 110 for 500) in the 77 grain weight I like. the Nosler generally shoot a tad bigger groups in my gun. Generally the Nosler bullets group about .1 to .2 moa larger for me in most of my guns. So if the Sierra's would do .7 the Nolsers would do .8. But considering the cost the Noslers are what I use for three gun on long range stages and I save Sierra's for my precision rifles.

Pat

The 0.308 168's and 175's are the same IMO.

I did a test loading 20 rds of 168's from both manufacturers - same batch of cases (Norma), Federal 210M primers, same powder charge.

I did a 10rd group with each and the POI were the same - I superimposed the targets and all was the same. Then I mixed up the remaining ammo and did a 20rd group, bullet at each firing unknown, and the group size was the same as the 10rd groups.

Yeah, I say they are the same.

• 3 weeks later...

BC on sierras is a little better. Noslers are 20-25% less expensive. Both shoot about the same in my guns.

Sierra published BC's are adjusted by speed range. Nosler's are not. A big part of the answer, which is better, is going to depend on the bullet.

I load 175 gr SMK's and am working down my old supply of Nosler 175 Custom Comp's. Both are similar but I find the Sierra's to be more consistent for seating depth. The base-ogive/base-tip measurements are more uniform with the SMK's

For my .223 Bolt Action that has a 1:10 twist, the best bullet I've found for it is a Berger 73gr Match.