Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan 45 - Need to lighten the recoil

Xhris

So I love my trojan, and decided when I bought it that I wasn't going to change anything. Well now my wonderful soon to be wife wants to shoot it. But doesn't like the recoil of the 45. I have just been using factory ammo, as I didn't have the factory crimp die for 45 yet....

She handles things well, but she is just super slow between the first and second shot.

So does anyone have some advice on how to lighten the load?

Thanks

Chris

Stop using factory ammo. It's a pretty light shooting gun with 4 grains of clays and a 230 gr bullet.

Or buy another one in in 9mm (but honey, we *need* another gun for you to shoot!).

I personally tried a 12lb recoil spring in mine, and it made the recoil impulse feel sharper and more unpleasant, so I went back to 14lb (stock is 16, and is a good choice for factory loads imho).

Edited by motosapiens

install a stock hammer spring and a square bottom FPS. Force the cocking energy to go into that spring instead of accelerating the slide rearward. you can then run a 14 lb recoil spring (although this is about nosedive more than recoil) with decent results. The perceived improvement from the FPS is substantial.

So I love my trojan, and decided when I bought it that I wasn't going to change anything. Well now my wonderful soon to be wife wants to shoot it. But doesn't like the recoil of the 45. I have just been using factory ammo, as I didn't have the factory crimp die for 45 yet....

She handles things well, but she is just super slow between the first and second shot.

So does anyone have some advice on how to lighten the load?

Thanks

Chris

A nice light and very accurate load is 3.8 gr. HS-700X, Rem LP behind a 185 gr. LSWC seated 0.937" base to shoulder. Ca 710 fps with bullseye level accuracy out to 25 yards. You will need a lighter recoil spring in the 12 to 14 lb range depending on the gun.

Edited by TonyT

• 1 month later...

If she doesn't mind shooting minor try 3.4 gr. WST behind any 230 gr. bullet. Loaded some by mistake and love it for minor. Might shoot IDPA ESP with it.

Richard

PS: Guess I should add that I didn't have to change any springs but that is just me.

Edited by chirpy