Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1-4 Optic w/ Standard Rings?

zachvu

I've searched high and low, and can't seem to find a definitive answer to my question!

I just purchased a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 and throw lever, but can't decide what to go with as far as mounting it. I have no plans of removing, swapping, or changing my optic regularly, and don't see a need for a QD mount. I have a flat top rail on my SR 556, so eye relief is not an issue either. Is there any reason to go with a one piece mount like the Larue, Warne, Burris, etc rather than conventional style rings in a taller version?

I like one piece optics mounts because they will always hold the tube squarely. If you have separate rings they can be misaligned and cause damage to your scope. With a one piece mount there is no need to lap rings and they will always stay aligned. You have $500 into a scope, get a mount that won't wreck it. There are many options in less expensive one piece mounts, check Aero Precision, I have one of their one piece mounts at it runs under $100 plus they are supporting 3 gun matches and seem to be very innovative. I also have PRI, LaRue and JP one piece mounts, all good but more expensive.

Doug

It could be argued that a one piece mount would be more robust than a set of rings which are typically found on a hunting rifle. A solid set of tactical type rings will set you back as much or more than the average one piece. There are some solid options in a one piece for well under $200.00. Several under $100.00. On a rifle used in 3gun my preferance is a one piece.