Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing the best comp

Bill Schwab

I just discovered a smallcrack on my EGW 9 port comp :o It's still small enough to shoot. So the gun goes off to EGW for repairs in January. Click here for a pic of my blaster. I intend to recycle the slide and barrel. Due to the lightening cuts in the slide I do not think drilling holes in the barrel will be an option, so I intend on going with a new comp only. I like the angled plates of the current comp, but feel it's an outdated design so I want to update. Thus begins the quest...

This is my first open gun so I do not have a comp knowledge base, but I have been reading everything possible on the forums. I really wanted a titanium comp to shed some weight, but decided to go with EGW (they don't make any titanium comps) whom I am comfortable with. And besides I do okay with the current long & heavy comp.

In a very old post I read Pat Harrison's recommendation for the Matt McLearn style comp as produced by EGW, but I am unsure which comp that is. Can anyone identify that comp? www.egw-guns.com

Please share your experiences with EGW comps (i.e. 4 port EDM shot very flat but had side-to-side dot wiggle which was later eliminated by adding a side port to the front baffle of the comp).

I feel like I bug George too much already, so when I bring the gun to him I want to have an idea of what I want.

try one of my comps. they are available at shooters connection or brownells. there are plenty of shooters using this site that i have built guns for, maybe they can give you some input also. comps are available in titanium, stainless or 4140 steel. it is a very efficient design and may be helpful to you.

dan bedell - bedell custom

Bill.

here is a photo I got from Travis T. of his current open gun that George built..which looks almost identical to the gun Matt built for him years ago...

c1.jpg

Here are my last two open gun that EGW built...

EGW9X23lr.jpg

DSC_0036lr.jpg

I would talk with George about what he finds works..and how you shoot..some of the current rage guns are pretty cool..but after getting to shoot them..I find they are not for me...I have settled back to the hardchrome gun as I find it the best balance for me to shoot..

My apologies beforehand for taking the post a little off. But, which comp would people suggest for a 9mm open. Is there a difference in the shorter 9mm case in the way that gas is expelled that would make one comp perform better than another?

I've used or shot just about every combination of comps out there. I like Bedell's comps for several reasons:

1 - Angled ports direct gas away from the shooter

2 - Port size decreases the further you get from the muzzle, thus efficent use of remaining gas

3 - Plenty of metal on the botton and between baffles ( less crack prone)

4 - I know how picky Dan is and what he did to R&D this comp design.

I think the above (linked) pictures to Steve Anderson's gun (I took the pics) might show his original comp...from the Matt M. built gun.

Steve finally needed to rebarrel that old work horse. He sent it to EGW last winter and went with (I believe) the barrel and comp setup that Travis has on his EGW built gun.

Thanks for all the replies.

BigDave: Cool, I hadn't notived that EGW listed the McLearn style comp in their catalog, I kept looking on the website only. Thanks! P.S. Any luck finding those check weights?

Bedell: Will give your comps a look, especially given Paul's recommendation. I notice that Shooters Connection and Brownell's do not list a cone model, only a bull barrel threaded model. Are cone models available? Can I send the gun to you for the work? If so, what is your current wait list time and what would be the turnaround time to install the comp and tighten the slide/frame fit?

eerw: How many holes do you have in the barrel of the blued gun? And are there any holes in the hardchromed gun's barrel? Can you describe how the sight tracks between the two guns? I never thought about it, but I could go with a slide/barrel hole configuration like your blued gun with the slide cut-away on top but, on second thought, I doubt George would go for that because my slide has a large swoop in the rear so it's already fairly lightened.

eerw: How many holes do you have in the barrel of the blued gun? And are there any holes in the hardchromed gun's barrel? Can you describe how the sight tracks between the two guns? I never thought about it, but I could go with a slide/barrel hole configuration like your blued gun with the slide cut-away on top but, on second thought, I doubt George would go for that because my slide has a large swoop in the rear so it's already fairly lightened.

Bill..

the blued gun has two port holes...it has the swoop cut and then a beretta style cut on the front..talk with Geo..he did the lightening on the gun..

the dot tracked the same on both guns..straight up then back to POA...the gun with the port holes the dot did not rise as far..but on the clock I did not see the difference in practice sessions..the short gun was a little louder and took about 3/10 more powder to make major..