Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Limited 14-45 for USPSA Limited division...

TimH

Hi guys,

I generally shoot SS div and have for about 3 years. I've been wanting to make the transition to Limited div but have had a hard time finding a solid 2011 within my budget.

I came across an older Para Limited 14-45 in awesome shape that I picked up for a STEAL along with 6 mags. I bought a magwell, F/O front sight and Dawson ext. basepads and tuned the mags. they hold 18 reloadable and gun runs great!

My question is: How much (if any) am I going to be held back shooting a Para .45 vs. a 2011 platform .40? Especially at A/M class level? Am I setting myself up for letdown before I even start?

Just curious if a good running .45 can still be a contender, or if I should ditch it in search af a 2011 platform.

Tim Herron

TY68934

The downside is less mag capacity and cost on ammo.

.45 is now really only shot In SS division. you could be a contender it's just not practical anymore as .40 has more capacity per mag I have mags that hold 21reloadable and ammo is slightly cheaper and lighter.

Once you start getting competitive you will be much happier with a .40.

I think it would be fine at the lower levels of competition, but will probably hold you back when you get up towards A/M. 45 can be a soft shooting round that makes major, plus if you shoot bare lead it's not bad price wise. brass isn't super cheap, but you are saving on the gun. I think run it for a while and see how it goes. Having the "ideal" caliber for a division isn't always needed. For instance, I run 40 in 3 gun because I have the gear, and I shoot a 6" 2011 much better than a 4-5" glock. Those misses save me time, so it more than makes up for an occasional extra reload.

And if you got it at that much of a steal, shoot it while you save for your dream gun and then upgrade.

I am running 40 double stacks, with 21+1 rounds in the mags

I am usually reloading in the 16-18 rounds area most of the time

There are very few stages that I push it to 20 rounds before a reload

I do not think it will hold you back if you do not let it hold you back, a 200gr 45acp round needs 825fps to make major

a 180gr 40s&w needs 916fps to make major, less than 100 fps separate them, so the recoil is not really going to be that different

I would see if you have someone out there that will let you run their limited gun on a stage or two and then run the para and really see what difference you are coming up with.

An investment into a new limited gun is $2500 and that is figuring a new edge and 4 mags, holster and mag pouches. Then if you are not set up to reload 40 throw in brass, primers, powder, and reloading equipment to do it.

I do not think it will hold you back if you do not let it hold you back, a 200gr 45acp round needs 825fps to make major

a 180gr 40s&w needs 916fps to make major, less than 100 fps separate them, so the recoil is not really going to be that different

I would see if you have someone out there that will let you run their limited gun on a stage or two and then run the para and really see what difference you are coming up with.

An investment into a new limited gun is $2500 and that is figuring a new edge and 4 mags, holster and mag pouches. Then if you are not set up to reload 40 throw in brass, primers, powder, and reloading equipment to do it.

Thanks Jake!

Merle Edington has his STI Limited setup that he'll let me work with to compare. I was also figuring roughly $2500 for a good STI with mags and such. I've found a couple used with mags in the $1600-$1800 ballpark but I'm still quite a bit lower than that invested in my Para complete.

I do have capability to load .40. But my ammo sponsor has had a easier time with 200/230gr .45 to keep me shooting, hence why I've stayed in SS all year running my 45 and parked the .40.

I think I'll give the Para a fair shake down after my last major this weekend. Have a few locals till winter break to ease my curiosity about it!

Thanks everyone for the input!

Thanks Jake!

Merle Edington has his STI Limited setup that he'll let me work with to compare. I was also figuring roughly $2500 for a good STI with mags and such. I've found a couple used with mags in the $1600-$1800 ballpark but I'm still quite a bit lower than that invested in my Para complete.

I do have capability to load .40. But my ammo sponsor has had a easier time with 200/230gr .45 to keep me shooting, hence why I've stayed in SS all year running my 45 and parked the .40.

I think I'll give the Para a fair shake down after my last major this weekend. Have a few locals till winter break to ease my curiosity about it!

Thanks everyone for the input!

i sold my Brazo's back in Aug for $2000, no mags and getting ready to send everything to Jim Anglin to build me another (duplicate of my current one) and even doing it this way I am still going to be over $2k

I went to the Limited Nationals twice with a Para P14 and 18+1 and never felt that it was a disadvantage. Then again, I'm not an A, M, GM so ........ I would shoot what I have until 20/21+1 would help me advance.

JMHOFWIW

Richard

That's good information right there.

I also have a P14 Pro and plan to wear it out in IPSA. I had similar concerns until reading both the comments here and to a very similar question i posted a couple of days ago.

That's good information right there.

I also have a P14 Pro and plan to wear it out in IPSA. I had similar concerns until reading both the comments here and to a very similar question i posted a couple of days ago.

The other thing to think about is that until probably 3-4 years ago most double stack mags were not 21+1 round mags

The first mags I had with my Brazo's were 19+1 mags and could only reload into 18 round mags

Then I dropped a bunch on SV mag's and got my 21+1 reloadable mags, after a year changed the springs out and they were now 20+1 reloadable

I now have 2 STI mags from Accurate Iron Works that I bought off of here that Mike Cyrwus did, they are 21+1, not reloadable, but have been 100% reliable allowing me to start with 22 rounds, and I do not do that all the time.

I have 4 20+1 Brazo's tuned mags and start with 21 rounds alot of times

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Dawson extended bases on my p14-45 para, with the new mags and old most they hold is 16 (14 is std.) Do I need to cut down the extended springs they recommend to get 18???

Shouldn't have to cut springs to get 17 to fit reliably. 18 is a push but can be done. What spring are you using? I installed ISMI 140 mm springs in my mags and they work great. All feeding issues are fixed, however, with the new mag springs, I can only fit 17 rounds reloadable in to mags now...Which I'm still good with.

Well guys, I appreciate all of the input you've given me about the gun and setup. Unfortunately, I'm a SS shooter first and foremost and had the opportunity this last weekend to get my hands on a brand new SS gun to start breaking in for next season. Therefore, in order to offset the cost of the new pistol, I've decided to put the Para up for sale with everything I have for it.

Only thing is that I can't list it here on Benos, because I haven't the prerequisite 50 posts to do so...

Anybody got any ideas?

Anyone interested in a great gun with lots of mags and goodies installed?

Let me know!

Tim Herron

TY68934

(816) 332-9067