Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Robbie's Demo

Duane Thomas

Rob Leatham did a demo today at the range where I instruct, Bull's-Eye Shooter Supply in Tacoma, WA. Actually he's doing six demos, three each today and tomorrow. I got to see the last of the three today. He started out with the XT 2000 from concealment with a behind the hip holster from under a vest. His best Bill Drill was 2.01 with that set-up. I was looking at his performance and going, okay, no big deal, I could do that. Whether I could or not is open to debate, but I certainly believed I could. He demoed a few other guns....and then he got to the 6" .45. I got to watch Rob Leatham do the fastest Bill Drill he's ever done. Up til today, according to Rob his fastest BD was 1.46. Today he did 1.43 with an iron sighted .45 and factory PMC 230-gr. ball ammo. It was SO cool. The thing is, he didn't even look particularly fast doing it. He commented later, "If you're doing this right, it should look easy."

So Robbie's going to be firing the 6" at the Factory Nats in a few weeks. I hope and pray Ron Avery also shoots Lim-10. I mean, really, he's got to, right? Anything else would mean God is not in his Heaven. This is gonna be one of the great matches of the IPSC age, gang. When it comes to shooting singlestack .45s, among top shooters, Rob and Ron are pretty much the guys.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 6:16 pm on June 22, 2002)

Quote: from Duane Thomas

So Robbie's going to be firing the 6" at the Factory Nats in a few weeks. I hope and pray Ron Avery also shoots Lim-10. I mean, really, he's got to, right? Anything else would mean God is not in his Heaven. This is gonna be one of the great matches of the IPSC age, gang. When it comes to shooting singlestack .45s, among top shooters, Rob and Ron are pretty much the guys.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 6:16 pm on June 22, 2002)

You would think that would make for great live TV :-)

LATE BREAKING NEWS: I can no longer say I've seen Robbie do his fastest ever Bill Drill. I saw one of the demos he did on Saturday. I had to get this story secondhand, but while I was away shooting a match on Sunday, Robbie actually beat his new record - twice.

The first time he did a 1.42. A whole 1/100th second faster than his fastest. And apparently he was pretty happy about that, as you may imagine. "Somebody give me a piece of paper, I need to write that down!" And then his next BD apparently didn't go too well. "Sorry, I was still thinking about '1.42'." And then the next one went real well. "That felt pretty fast. Let's look at the timer." It was "pretty fast" - 1.37.

SMMMMMMOKIN'!

• 3 weeks later...