Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Home defense?

michael_aos

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

people c'mon lets face facts here.i know this is a shooting and gun forum but you better think really hard before you use it even if it's in your own home and for defense.the laws that effect us are not as they should be.the criminal in most cases has more rights than the home owner or victim.just one example in this state it's documented that a woman was attacked by a would be rapist and used mace on her assailant.he took her to court and won.IMHO if you use that firearm and the theif is unarmed you are in big time trouble.using deadly force issues come into play here.

people c'mon lets face facts here.i know this is a shooting and gun forum but you better think really hard before you use it even if it's in your own home and for defense.the laws that effect us are not as they should be.the criminal in most cases has more rights than the home owner or victim.just one example in this state it's documented that a woman was attacked by a would be rapist and used mace on her assailant.he took her to court and won.IMHO if you use that firearm and the theif is unarmed you are in big time trouble.using deadly force issues come into play here.

Actually the law is very simple in Colorado. It's called "Make my day".

If you're in your home, and you feel threatened, you can shoot.

It's been challenged in court. A woman inside her home felt threatened by a man pounding on her front door. She leaned out an upstairs window and shot him dead. By the letter of the law, she was found to be within her rights.

This law also applies to your "private conveyance" (car).

Link to Beavis and Butthead "Are you threatening me??" audio clip.

Mike

Rich,

1) Most of us live in America and are allowed to shoot bad guys regardless of the location. But, this is *not* the place to discuss the justified use of lethal force, so..

2) Let's not go down this road of discussion, lest my inner Gestapo comes out and forces me to lock the discussion. (and nobody wants that)

and....

3) I luv ya Rhino, but we need to head to the range sometime and play everyone's favorite family fun-time game: "Nuking Hostile Ballistic Watermelons at 10 feet with a pheasant load. It's fun, messy, and best of all, biodegradable. :P

3) I luv ya Rhino, but we need to head to the range sometime and play everyone's favorite family fun-time game: "Nuking Hostile Ballistic Watermelons at 10 feet with a pheasant load. It's fun, messy, and best of all, biodegradable. :P

I would never do that!

I got in trouble yesterday for admitting I killed that groundhog (among some shooters at lunch after the match). Now that I see the error of my ways, I hold all of God's Creatures sacred, including Fruito-Americans.

Why, it's even worse to hurt a plant than it is an animal! At least the animal can run away or fight, but that poor watermelon is defenseless and slow! Even slower than I am!

:rolleyes:

Do you also keep ear muffs close by, on the assumption that you actually have time to put them on in some cases?

:unsure:

That's why I'd use a silenced .22 for home defense but In this part of the world there is no such thing as home defence, if I use my guns I go to jail and will never own a gun again period. :angry:

This might get ripped apart from the better knowing in here but our ears kinda works like electronic ear muffs in combat like situation, in a way does our adrenaline protect our hearing. You will most probably not notice the noice as it happens, it comes afterwards. We can handle a small amount of this abuse before starting to loose hearing.

But i'd put money on that if you fired a .357MAG in your bedroom you get 2 holes in your head (ear drums) but the perp will hopefully have 3 holes. ;)

Do you also keep ear muffs close by, on the assumption that you actually have time to put them on in some cases?

Cousin MC ... I used to keep my electronic muffs in my bedroom just for that reason. I'm pretty sure I got out of the habit because I left them in the truck and I was too lazy to get them.

It is a really good idea, though. You may not have time to put them on, but if you do it could make things a lot better for you.

I remember reading somewhere that someone suggested shooting with thier open gun. They said, "you don't have to hit them, just shoot in front of them and cook them with the comp gasses."

I don't know about that, but it sure would seem like the world coming to the end if you were on the recieving end....especially in the dark!!!! :D

dj

Michael,

My last Mall Ninjitsu input is that if you feel good about your CM, that's what you should use. Personally, I'm coming to the belief that well-tuned autos are more reliable than pump guns.

I really love shooting that gun.

I don't know about mounting a "tactical" light though, and it's longer than the suggested length for a defensive gun.

You also loose the "cha chunk" sound of cycling a pump.

Plus a pump gives me an excuse to buy another gun.

Not necessarily a HUGE factor, but I can probably find a pump for closer to $300. I think I paid $779+tax for the 1100CM.

So right now the 1100CM is in the safe, whereas a pump would just be left leaning against the wall in the bedroom.

Mike

) Most of us live in America and are allowed to shoot bad guys regardless of the location. But, this is *not* the place to discuss the justified use of lethal force, so..
sorry i don't live in america i live in new jersey.

and if lethal force is *not* an issue in this thread i don't know where it belongs then.

don't get me wrong here i have weapons placed all over my condo every widow,door is covered and my katanas and cold steel knives are strategically placed.no matter what the laws are here if someone would try to break in and i felt that me and my son were in harms way i wouldn't think twice about shooting or cutting the creep in half.

I've removed all the grass around my house and planted catnip in its place. If a would-be criminal manages to get into my house, the cats will swarm him and I'll awake to a blood stain on the floor where they removed the flesh from his legs. If he manages to wake me with his screaming, a 2-1 from the G35 in my nightstand will take care of things.

Are there any reliability issues with a short-barreled auto / Remington 1100?

Wal-Mart lists the Remington 1100 LT-20 Synthetic Youth Gun for $425, but I'm a little concerned the 21" barrel is a liability inside the house.

Mike

Are you planning on house-clearing? Or one hunkering down in a defensive position? I think the two approaches are vastly different.....

Are you planning on house-clearing? Or one hunkering down in a defensive position? I think the two approaches are vastly different.....

Good point.

I guess I was thinking I'd hear a crash and take something with me to go investigate.

I'm in a fairly small house, with the bedroom upstairs, down a narrow hallway.

I can see the front door, the back door, and the side (from the garage) door from the bottom of the stairs. As seen in this Quicktime VR movie.

Mike

Are there any reliability issues with a short-barreled auto / Remington 1100?

Wal-Mart lists the Remington 1100 LT-20 Synthetic Youth Gun for $425, but I'm a little concerned the 21" barrel is a liability inside the house.

Mike

Yes, there are issues with short-barreled gas guns. You will need to open up the gas ports to make them work.

Let's do a little reality check here. Unless you're going to go AOW, we're talking about 21" versus 18 1/2". Is 2 1/2" really going to change anything? If somebody grabs the shotgun, pull the trigger. Sooner or later they're going to figure out that grabbing the shotgun is a stupid thing to do. Furthermore, why not simply pull the trigger before they're that close to begin with?

You really need to keep in mind that most criminals/dirtbags are cowards at heart. Only the most downtrodden street thugs don't value their lives. My personal experience has been that demonstrated possession of the tool and the unflinching intent to use it will back them down (I've lived a charmed life so far) and end the discussion. The ability to communicate that you're playing to win is far more important than the specifics of what gun you're holding. Absolute confidence in your choice of artillery is also vastly more important than the specs of what you're holding.

FWIW...

Very wise words by EricW. (slight thread hijack)

I have walked the thin blue line in a rough part of a metro city, and the term "unflinching intent" is spot on. Once the local turds realize that if they step up, you will bring the fight to them to its greatest extent (non-lethal, lethal, etc), they will respect you and will avoid any altercation with you.

I have seen guys not showing "unflinching intent" having alot more problems (fights, words, etc), because the turds could tell that they would not bring the fight to them until its way too late in the situation.

(IMO, in a nutshell on the temporary thread hijack)

Unless you're going to go AOW, we're talking about 21" versus 18 1/2". Is 2 1/2" really going to change anything?

AOW isn't out of the question. I could do that here in CO.

Just thinking if I'm going to do it, I might as well get the "ideal" configuration. Whatever that is.

Mike