Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What happened to Rifle Powder?

HotLoad

I have had not much trouble finding primers, bullets and brass for 223 rifle but for the life of me have not been able to find rifle powder. Weird!!!

Would mostly like to find Ramshot TAC or Xterminator along with Varget.

J

I still have quite a bit of AA2230/X-Terminator I can spare for fellow shooters. See this post for details. Note this is not for profit, it's only to help fellow shooters. Don't ask me to sell you some if you are going to try and flip it for a profit. I will be quite upset and no longer willing to help people who genuinely need powder to keep competitive.

Seems that most rifle powders a available now are too fast or way too slow for most 223 loads. Reloader 7 works if you can find it. A LGS here had a pile of varget come in, and within a day or two sold out. I managed to get the last pound.

Imr 4198 is supposed to work for 223 and I just seen a lot of it for sale recently. I loaded some 223 with it but haven't gotten to test yet, so can't say how good it is. It don't meter too well in my 550 though

I have had not much trouble finding primers, bullets and brass for 223 rifle but for the life of me have not been able to find rifle powder. Weird!!!

Would mostly like to find Ramshot TAC or Xterminator along with Varget.

J

GFL along the front range. When it is located the folks selling it have become very proud of it. I use TAC, X-terminator and 2230 None of those are to be found in 8 lbs containers. I did read hogdon's subsonic load data, using Titegroup, which i have a nice supply of. Might as well give those a go.

It's slowly starting to come back... I happened into my local reloading store last weekend and asked for an 8 pound jug of Ramshot TAC and the response I got was, "Just the one for you?". They acted like they couldn't give the stuff away.

This has also been my experience on a 4 pound jug of VV N320 about a month ago. I posted that N320 was in stock locally on a regional reloading forum and nobody seemed to care.

I got both of these locally just by asking.

Slim pickings on-line, but the powder is shipping. If we would all quit ordering from the same place online maybe we would see more stock.

I've got dibs on Powder Valley... Now, all of you guys find another online source for your powder and there will be plenty for me. I mean all of us :surprise:

Wideners has (or had as of early this morning) 1# containers of Xterminator.

Thanks for the update fishsticks, but if I had to buy 1 #'s I would have to place an order for 50. Don't even want to know what the charge is on that.

J