Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Pro 9 - Shoots Very Low

vajeeps

I just bought a new M&P Pro 9mm 5" with the fiber optic front sight. I went to the range today to test and I was surprised at how low it was shooting. I shot ~ 50 rounds just to test the gun function and get a feel for the trigger and then moved on to a bench rest since I had noted that I was shooting left and low. I originally had thought it may have just been user error but the bench rest yielded the same results. My group from the rest was precise (~1-2" group) but the accuracy was low. I am not so worried about the gun shooting to the left, I can drift the sights to adjust for this, but I was concerned about it shooting so low. It was shooting ~8" low, and very repeatable. My question is how to hold on these fiber optic sights. I was holding the top of the front blade to match the top of the rear sight and then holding right on the bullseye. This is what has typically worked for me in the past on my 1911's. Is the fiber optic sight supposed to be used differently. Any advice is appreciated. I went to the range excited to shoot a new gun and now I just want to move back to my ole' reliable 1911.

Details of what shooting:

Range: 15 Yards

Bullet: Blazer Brass 9mm 124g

Gun: M&P Pro 9mm 5"

You should be able to hit wherever your sights are aligned. Im having the same issue with mine. You can add a taller rear sight or a shorter front sight to fix your issue. Dawson Precision makes all different height front sights for this very issue. They also have a formula to tell you how much shorter (or taller) your front sight needs to be to have your POA lead to your desired POI. Based on the info you gave (how far off, which direction, distance to target), it sounds like you would need a front sight in the .140-.160 range depending on what relationship you want bw POA and POI. Dawson will fix this for you at a cost of $35 in labor plus shipping plus ab $39 for sight or you can start learning to do this type thing yourself. Or maybe you have a buddy who has some knowledge of how to do it. Regardless, you can make it work for you.

Edited by wgj3

I was experiencing the same problem with my .40 FS. It was about 6" low at 25 yards even after going to a .155 X .100 front sight. I went with the Dawson adjustable rear and .265 X .100 front and couldn't be happier. I have to disagree with the advice than says aim over the target. You can't get a precise sight picture using that method. Either change out the front sight to a lower height, or better yet go with the adjustable rear and a new front sight to go with it.

I was experiencing the same problem with my .40 FS. It was about 6" low at 25 yards even after going to a .155 X .100 front sight. I went with the Dawson adjustable rear and .265 X .100 front and couldn't be happier. I have to disagree with the advice than says aim over the target. You can't get a precise sight picture using that method. Either change out the front sight to a lower height, or better yet go with the adjustable rear and a new front sight to go with it.

Can you post pictures of that setup??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

I had a very similar issue a few years back with my M&P pro. My issue was resolved by replacing the stock pro sear with an Apex sear. That solved the problem. I think you can get the Apex sear for $40-50, and it is easy to install.

I'm not going to say Dawson sights won't correct the issue, but it may be a fix to the symptom, not a repair to the root cause. I had already installed a set of trijicon night sights, so I didn't consider replacing the sights when I replaced the sear.

I do like dawson sights, I have them on my competition guns.

I have a Dawson .160 X .100 front sight on my 9mm Pro. I had it dialed in that at 10 yard I had to shoot maybe 2" high to hit right in the center of either an IDPA head or in the 0. Last week went out to practice and ran 3 Mozambic drills. All the shots were low 5" and left 4" in a nice tight group of 6 shots and 3 shots. All I had done between the practices was field stripped the gun and cleaned/lubed it.

Any ideas what happened?

I have a Dawson .160 X .100 front sight on my 9mm Pro. I had it dialed in that at 10 yard I had to shoot maybe 2" high to hit right in the center of either an IDPA head or in the 0. Last week went out to practice and ran 3 Mozambic drills. All the shots were low 5" and left 4" in a nice tight group of 6 shots and 3 shots. All I had done between the practices was field stripped the gun and cleaned/lubed it.

Any ideas what happened?

Low and to the left = pulling the trigger my friend. Specially at Mozabic drill speed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Any ideas what happened?

Low and to the left = pulling the trigger my friend. Specially at Mozabic drill speed.

That is what I thought at first, but the second and third time I slowed down looking at fundamentals. Still did it.

Recently got a 9mm pro, found that the factory novak sight setup was like previously mentioned, way too low at 25yds, even if expecting shots to hit "behind the fiber dot".

Got with Dawson Precision, ordered a warren tactical rear (always liked those) and got a .170 front fiber sight (the recommended .180 height front wasn't in stock and still isn't). Now it shoots a little high at 25 yds, but much better than much too low, plan to order the .180 when it becomes available.

Recently got a 9mm pro, found that the factory novak sight setup was like previously mentioned, way too low at 25yds, even if expecting shots to hit "behind the fiber dot".

Got with Dawson Precision, ordered a warren tactical rear (always liked those) and got a .170 front fiber sight (the recommended .180 height front wasn't in stock and still isn't). Now it shoots a little high at 25 yds, but much better than much too low, plan to order the .180 when it becomes available.

Why going back to .180 ??? Werent you shooting low with it ?? ( oem is .180 )

How long you have been shooting M&Ps ???

About 9 months, my carry gun is a FS 9mm M&P and shoots to point of aim.

What trigger you have ?

Apex competition, Carry gun is stock except night sights

Why going back to .180 ??? Werent you shooting low with it ?? ( oem is .180 )

Was low with the sights it came with (novaks)...

With the new warren/dawson setup (.170 front) its an inch or couple inches high at 25yds now, plan to get the .180 when available to be dead nuts at 25.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with my M&P pro 5". A lot of the low left was shooter error and trigger control coming from a Glock trigger. The remedy of that is to just shoot and practice. However, I was warned by a buddy of mine that shoots an M&P in competitions that they require a but of a break in period before they start shooting properly. Taking the shooter out of the equation, after around 500 rounds or so, my M&P started to group tighter and now shoots point of aim. Was I more familiar with the gun by then? Of course. But there was a noticeable difference in accuracy that was evident on a bench rest. I was ready to send the gun back to S&W. Now, however, what was once a shotgun pattern at 15-20 yards is now a much tighter 2-3" group and poa/poi.

Personally, I still think my Glock 34 is a more accurate pistol, at least for me and my guns. I know everyone's experience will vary. The M&P feels better in the hand, but the Glock has always shot better for me.