Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

does wst powder seep through powder drop slide

wanted to see if anyone here uses winchester wst powder and if they have a problem with the powder seeping through the gaps in the powder drop slide or if mine is broken. i have 3 different tool heads one with wst one with 231 and one with silhouette and the other two have no problems . every time i use the wst after every pull of the handle is seems like its a grain that goes flying of the powder drop slide .... its on a dillon xl650 if it makes a difference . thanks

Someone just posted on my topic about the extra small powder bar that he was tired of wst "puffing" out of the measure.

I haven't used any wst but a buddy has used quite a bit lately and he hasn't said anything about it happening on his press.

Yes, WST has some very fine particles that seep through a Dillon Powder measure.

After loading a few thousand rounds I wondered how powder flakes were getting on the front of my press instead of the usual flakes of powder you get on the shell plate. I adjusted the lighting and you see the occasional light "puff" of powder coming from the powder bar. (Dillon Powder Measure on XL 650 press)

This is a very small amount of powder and shouldn't affect anything to any noticeable degree. More annoying than anything.

After I finally noticed this phenomenon it bothered me but I still use a lot of WST so I've learned to live with it.

My research indicates the leak can be stopped by changing to a $40 Arrendondo Powder Bar, but the amount of powder that leaks doesn't warrant the cost of the fix considering we are talking about a highly temperature sensitive powder like WST.

Even with all the issues I love the "bang for the buck" I get from WST.

thanks kind of strange that some of you see it and others dont , mine is a mess from the top of the dies down ward but weighing each charge it always right on the money. it just more of a mess issue then anything.

Have used a strip of clear packing tape to tighten the powder bar then trim it with a new razor blade, put it on the side that doesn't move.

great idea.

what do you mean by the side that does slide?

• 3 weeks later...