Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cutting slide to length

Blujay291

Hi guys I unfortunately bought another open gun with a cracked slide, it's really starting to take all the fun out of this sport for me. Anyway I spent all my available funds on the gun, thinking it was ready to shoot, so the seller covered a new slide and I don't have the money to have it fit so I'm going to do it myself. I've fit a few slides before on different guns I don't own anymore but my friends tell me they are still running great. The gun is a shorty open gun and the slide I have is a classic sti bald 5in slide. What's is the best method to cut the slide down for someone that does not have acces to a mill or other high end equipment. I understand I do not want to get the slide to hot during the cut, so any thoughts would be great!

I would avoid the abrasive cutoff wheel. Hacksaw will work but not very accurate. Do you know someone with a cutoff saw with coolant? Even without coolant if run at slow rpm it should not heat up enough to affect hardness.

I wish I could I plan on cutting it longer than necessary and ill be doing all the final fitting snd 1 degree angle by hand with my trusty files I just need to get that half inch or so off it doesn't have to be a perfect cut as I said it will be hand fit with files afterwards

In order to hold the tolerances you will want a mill is the best way. Trying to file a 1 degree angle will be challenging at best and a nightmare at worst. I would look for a machinist that does prototype work in a small shop. I can't imagine that they would charge you more than $50 to do the machining. If you are hell bent on DIY I would try a dremel with a cutoff wheel and go SLOW and pray a lot.

The issue is do you try it yourself and trash the slide and be that much deeper in the hole or do you get it done right and spend a little money instead of replacing the slide AGAIN!

Edited by StraightUp_OG

It can be done I've done it on a open slide before by hand, the angle might not have been an exact 1 degree but the end of the slide did not contact the comp st any point in its travel with about a .005 clearance and the gun is still running today accurate and reliable. I'm confident in my abilities because I've educated myself on the dynamics of the slide and comp relation along with the rest of the 1911/2011 relation I just wanted to know what the best way to remove the excess metal from the 5 slide which I chose because my shorty is not 4.15 inch it's Longer and I didn't buy a commander slide for this reason of possibly being too short, can always remove material, can't add any!!!

Look guys my finances force me to be a DIY guy, I also love the learning experience that comes with it, I just want help to get this right so my open gun can serve me for a while.if I could send it off to millennium or akai with a blank check I would but I can't so this slide is getting fit by me, so any advice or tips to get it correct?

Dude I feel ya! I do ALL of my own smithing. But I have never tried this without a mill so I have no practical advice. But if you are going for it then go slow is the only advice I have. I would use a Dremel cut off so you have a sense of precision rather than something clumsy like an angle grinder with a cut off disc. For the 1 degree I would set the angle and walk it in with a mill file slow and steady.

What is the length of the slide on the gun now as a true commander gun is 4.25 not 4.15 and the commander slides are pretty available

If it has to be cut I would check what a local one man machine shop would charge to cut it with the proper tools as its probibally pretty inexpensive and the. Do the rest yourself. DIY often gets expensive without the right tools.

Edited by EkuJustice

Hello: Use a hacksaw to get it close. Then file and fit it to the barrel and comp. Use Prussion blue and file the high spots off the slide till you get the clearance you need. I learned Tool & Die work the old school ways so I know it can be done if you take your time. Good luck with your project. Thanks, Eric