Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

being remembered

Chuck D

In 1985...I was an 18 year old guy who shot a LOT of PPC and IPSC with revolvers. In fact, that was the year I won my first IPSC club level match (HOA) with a model 19 S&W.

Many years have passed and I eventually "evolved" into a series of 1911's but I still shot a revolver every now and then. In fact, I still own that model 19 but it's since been retired after a "rebuild" by the S&W Performance Center several years ago.

For my 10th wedding anniversary, my wife and my dad got together and bought me a new 686 with a spare fitted cylinder. One cylinder is stock and the other is cut for moon clips (one's IDPA legal and the other is USPSA/IPSC legal). S&W's Performance Center has done the action work and the gun sports a nice set of Hogue (my favourite) checkered grips.

The COOLEST part is the engraving on the barrel. It says, "celebrating 20 years of competitive shooting, 1985-2005."

On the side plate it says, Built by S&W for Chuck DiSalvo.

Single handedly...the best present I've ever gotten. :wub:

The deal is...I have to shoot it exclusively in '05. Kinda like a 20 year "reunion" tour. My dad (who is still an active shooter at 63 but shoots virtually no IPSC anymore) and I will reunite and shoot some IPSC and steel plate/bowling pin matches like we used to when I was just a kid. ;)

Sometimes we get so caught up in arguing over rules changes, debating the newest comp or scope designs, who makes the best holster, how would you make that all important ruling if you were the range officer....and on and on and on...that we forget why we got involved in the sport in the first place.

My reminder came in a blue cardboard box.

Thanks Peggy, Mom and Dad....you guys are the best ! ;)

Chuck, you are bringing back some memories now. For the first christmas that my parents celebrated as a married couple (1978 i think), mom gave dad a 4 inch blue model 19. That gun went on the be the gun I would learn to first shoot with, as well as my little brother. However in december of 1998 I walked into the house after a long day at work to find a doped up crook who was in the process of deciding he needed a well made revolver more than me. Needless to say it is now gone. I saw the other day the exact same gun sitting in a local shop and thought about dad and the fact that christmas is coming soon....

• 9 months later...

September's right around the corner and soon it will be back to College for the final semester in the quest for a Bachelors Degree. Unfortunately...hitting the books means less "trigger time."

Since getting a badge from the County...I returned to my first love ...PPC.

The new "gift" was the perfect tool for Duty Revolver class. After a bit of practice,competed in 5 PPC matches this summer earning an average score of 588 with 38X's.

Coolest part was my entire family was there to see most of the matches...especially my best performance of a 594 with 46X's. :wub:

For one summer...I was 18 years old again and my ONLY concern and/or worry was placing one 148g wadcutter in the X ring....one after another after another after another..... ;)

The gift that keeps on giving. :wub: