Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about mags

G17

I know that this is probably a silly question, i'm still trying to learn as much as i can before i do my first match at the end of the month. I just want to be prepared. I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 17. I'm much more comfortable shooting the 19 so i plan on using that in the production division. I have 3 G19 mags and 3 G17 mags. Am i allowed to use the 17 mags in my 19 while shooting production? I have a lot of money going out for bills this month and still need ammo, a holster, mag pouches, a belt etc to get ready for the match so if i don't have to buy more 19 mags it would be a plus.

Also, How many mag pouches do you recommend i buy, and how many mags should a beginner have on his person for his first match?

Thank you for your time.

The allowable weight for your empty gun, with an empty magazine inserted, is listed here: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-NROI-production-gunlist.php

Per Rule Book Appendix D4 - #18 - the gun-plus-magazine may actually be up to two (2) ounces over the listed weight.

The 'USPSA Box' that all Production guns (with an empty mag inserted) must fit into is 8 15/16" x 6" x 1 5/8" internal dimensions -- Rule Book Appendix D4, #6. Ask around to see if anyone at your club has an official box - or knows where to get one - so you can try it.

The current Rule Book is downloadable here: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-rules.php (the 2008 Rules with ammendments through 2010). There is a link to the proposed 2013 rule updates toward the bottom of that page.

If you have grip tape or other 'stuff' on your G19, remember that grip tape must be limited to the areas diagrammed in Appendix E4, no magwell, no weighted backstraps in Production.

Mag pouches - you might want to have 4 or 5 on your belt. See the diagram in Appendix E3 for positioning the holster & mag pouches on your belt -- make sure they're behind the prominence of the big pelvic 'wing' bone (anterior superior iliac spine is the anatomically correct term). You may certainly put extra magazines in your back pockets, just not in the front pockets after the 'start' signal.

For Production, stick to a basic holster that covers the trigger guard (no 'race' holsters), and basic mag pouches, no magnets. Appendix D4 , #20 (magnet prohibition in Production found under the Handgun Rule Updates of 2011 - same page as referenced above)

If you haven't already purchased a holster, mag pouches and one of those 2-part velcro belts, save a few bucks and contact the Match Director where you plan to shoot. Chances are that club members have extra gear that they're not using and would be willing to share for a match or two. That will give you an opportunity to try things to see what you like and determine what works best for YOU.

Feel free to ask lots of questions, USPSA shooters are never short of advice or opinions :closedeyes: