Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex Extractor, Still Brass to Face, What Now?

NacsMXer

I have a newer July 2013 production Gen 4 Glock 19 that has a bad brass to face problem. Shooting the first 150 rounds through it, I was getting weak ejection with the majority of the rounds landing on my right bicep/forearm (i'm right handed). I would also get the occasional case hitting me on top of the head. The gun had all the newest parts such as the 0-4-3 recoil spring assembly, dipped extractor, and 30274 ejector. My loads are 130 ish power factor, shooting 4.0-4.1 grains of N320 below a 124 JHP MG bullet.

I installed the Apex failure resistant extractor along with the included stronger spring and non-loaded chamber indicator bearing. These parts were supposed to be the magic cure for the ejection issue. However I shot another 115 rounds of the same loads today, and I still get brass landing on my right arm, hitting me in the head, and now hitting me in the center of the chest. I get hit almost every round, it's crazy. I also installed a drop in trigger from Glocktriggers.com which included a new but different 30274 ejector but it didn't change a thing.

The question is, what now? I'm almost thinking that the dual recoil spring is sprung too heavy, thus the rounds weakly arcing up and landing on my right arm and such. I'm thinking of trying the Jager Gen 4 guide rod assembly which will allow me to run a reduced rate spring. Do you think the lighter spring will help or can you offer anything else I can do?

Thanks!

Buy both and throw in an 11lb as well then try each one.

Some say the IMSI springs run light, whereas the Wolff springs are labeled accurately

I run a 13 in a Gen4 17, 19, 34.

PF is 135 124 MG JHP

The newer ejector and factory mainspring resolved my ejection issues so I never tried the Apex ejector.

I've got a Jager Gen 4 hardened steel guide rod and 15 lb ISMI spring on the way. Thanks for sharing your setups/loads. I have experienced the same with ISMI springs feeling light. I have a 14 lb ISMI recoil spring in my Beretta Elite II and it feels lighter than the factory 13 lb spring. Feels more like 12 lbs to me. So i'm thinking the 15 lb ISMI Glock spring should really be around 13 lbs. I'll try that and go lighter if necessary.

The fast powder does not help kick the brass out as well. I use a Wolf 15lb on a Large Frame Wolff guide rod in my 34. It's a little longer. 11lb is really light. I say try the 15 and something one step lighter. Make sure it has enough spring to put the gun in battery with the muzzle pointed up and the trigger pulled fully back as you slowly release the slide. Unloaded gun of course. You have a interaction between the trigger return spring and the striker spring and the slide spring you just need to be aware to not go too light on the slide spring in some cases.

Edit. Just noticed you have a G19. Do the proper guide rod. Not the large frame.

Edited by 98sr20ve

try filing a 22Degre edge on the Ejector (don't make it shorter, just angled)

I assume this is a downward slanting angle? All this time I was thinking some type of tweak to the ejector itself would HAVE to change the trajectory of the ejection. Thanks.

The fast powder does not help kick the brass out as well. I use a Wolf 15lb on a Large Frame Wolff guide rod in my 34. It's a little longer. 11lb is really light. I say try the 15 and something one step lighter. Make sure it has enough spring to put the gun in battery with the muzzle pointed up and the trigger pulled fully back as you slowly release the slide. Unloaded gun of course. You have a interaction between the trigger return spring and the striker spring and the slide spring you just need to be aware to not go too light on the slide spring in some cases.

Edit. Just noticed you have a G19. Do the proper guide rod. Not the large frame.

Yep, i'm going to try the 15 first and go down to the 13 lb if necessary. I am running a 4 lb striker spring, so I shouldn't have issues opposing the recoil spring. Still waiting to receive my Jager Gen 4 guide rod.

So I thought my ejection was ok but at the range today

for several rounds I watched the ejection from my GEN4 34 and 17

Not even close to what I have seen some GEN4s do- meaning sending the brass about 3ft o more from the shooter.

Some would make it over my forearm and that's about it.

I was very surprised.

Both the 17 and 34 have the latest glock ejector and extractor.

Both have an IMSI captured 13lb recoil spring.

Ammo is MG 124 JHP @ 135 PF

I might have to try what Tryo suggested also.

Edited by theKenny