Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Dual Load Issue

Zmego

I just purchased a VM tactical. I am prepping this gun for a match in a few weeks and so far I have opened the loading port, had the lifter welded, and got a new Nordic tube and spring. However, when I try and throw two shells in at once, it is a pain in the ass. The first goes in great until it gets to the shell feed latch the the resistance starts. The second shell (the one stacked right behind the first) has an even harder time. When I dual load my JM Pro, it is like butter...10 rounds in the tube without resistance or hesitation.

Any ideas? I know the magazine isn't binding in the tube, all the resistance is coming from the brass on the shell and the catch just as it goes into the mag tube. Any ideas on how to fix it? If not, I have VM for sale with all the mods listed above.

Got any pictures showing this radius?

I can post one later.

I had the chance to side by side compare my gun to one worked by 303 Arms and saw where the latch on the 303 gun was radiused to match the radius on the follower. The 303 gun was a lot easier to load than mine. I took my shell latch and slowly ground it to more closely match the radius of the follower without changing the angle on the trailing edge. Once I got it right, the shells no longer require that extra force to get past the latch.

My VMAX is the same way... i'll be watching this thread. I did polish the shell latch, open up the two "U" notches a little, and changed to a nordic spring and that helped out the loading alot however the latch is still real stiff to get a shell to click past. I did not radius the edge of the lower shell latch "lip" to match the radius on the follower but I did polish it up, this may be my next step. I'll probably order another shell latch from REM so I have a back-up before I bring it past the point of no return and shells just shoot into the reciever freely.

I love my VMAX tactical but it has to be one of the stiffest loading guns out of the box that i've ever felt. Good thing I love getting my hands dirty.

You probably do need to radius the shell latch if your VM is hard to load. But again, just a bit at a time. I only have seen two people go too far, but it does end up in a "mag dump" and lead shells don't really feel good on the toes. I have only worked on one so far that did not need to have a little shell latch work to aid in loading.

Yeterday I tried bending my shell catch a little (not sure of it even moved). Then I decided to remove the inner spring and add the little radius everyone is talking about. After all that...I am almost happy with it how it loads. Still not as smooth as my JM, but everything else about it is better so I supposed I will keep it....for now.

I am floored at how much has to be done to this gun to make it ready for a match. My JM Pro was way more ready out if the box.

Maybe, but once it is ready, it is such a joy to shoot!

I put 150 rounds though it yesterday, and it ran 5 different boxes of low brass low recoil shells like a champ. It didn't have any issues (to be expected). It was soft, but the JM is gas operated as well so I couldn't tell a huge difference. The only reason I decided to switch from my JM to a VM is because I am playing the long game. I believe that as my shooting career progresses the VM has the potential to be more reliable that my JM.

My VMAX is the same way... i'll be watching this thread. I did polish the shell latch, open up the two "U" notches a little, and changed to a nordic spring and that helped out the loading alot however the latch is still real stiff to get a shell to click past. I did not radius the edge of the lower shell latch "lip" to match the radius on the follower but I did polish it up, this may be my next step. I'll probably order another shell latch from REM so I have a back-up before I bring it past the point of no return and shells just shoot into the reciever freely.

I love my VMAX tactical but it has to be one of the stiffest loading guns out of the box that i've ever felt. Good thing I love getting my hands dirty.

Once you get the shell latch right it's amazing!