Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ideal split

achard

Hi,

I don't know where to put this question. I just want to know if it is possible to shoot in between shot with .11 split using standard gun. How can I imporve my split? my best was .19 about 10ft distance with 3 ipsc target with 3 down

Thanks,

achard,

IIRC, Erik Warren posted somewhere in these forums he has been able to shoot .09 splits, and I bet there are a lot of other forum members who can do the same or very close (at that distance my splits are in the .15/16 neighbourhood).

But,

what's the purpose of doing so? The question you should ask yourself is "Am I looking for a fast trigger, or am I looking to improve my split times between two good hits?"

The problem is not how fast you can pull the trigger, but how fast you can see what you need to see to break that second (fast) shot with confidence on the bullet hitting the spot you were aiming at... ;)

Actually, I've done .08. I will only rarely hit .11 or .12 in a match. A much more common and comfortable split is .17 to 19 on close targets. I have even been slowing down to .20 or more to ensure alphas on close targets and seeing my hit factors improve from it.

There are a bunch of threads on the subject of "splits" if you search on that term.

Thanks for the reply guy. acutally from 7m (3 targets 1m apart) my split was .23 between in shot and my travers was .26 atleast. but beyond 10m my split was .26 and traverse was .3 at least. Any comment?

The split and transition can be the same at the distance you mentioned.

i shoot awesome splits in matches(around .16-.18) and keep pretty good hits..with my production glock 34.

A local master shooter/pistolsmith told me im shooting good, but my transitions suck..exact words..

I have been practicing some steel challenge stages in hopes that 5 to go will help me with faster transitions..anyways ill figure it out.,

• 4 weeks later...

I had an interesting experience shooting toward the early evening hours a few months ago at an outdoor range. When it got dark enough to see the muzzle flash, my splits got a lot faster at close range. At 15 feet and less I usually am around .19-.22 but when seeing the muzzle flash, I saw a good number of .16-.18's and a single .14 all without "trying" (I know a bad word) to go fast. I didn't think my finger moved that fast!(stock glock 17 with WWB ammo.)

I think it had something to do with seeing the muzzle flash and then shooting the soon as the flash was gone and I could see the target again. At least that's a theory. I always seem to get faster splits if I'm focusing on something visual (sights lifting, muzzle flash, etc.) If I just try to unload in a berm, trigger freeze and slow splits.

I think it had something to do with seeing the muzzle flash and then shooting the soon as the flash was gone and I could see the target again.  At least that's a theory.  I always seem to get faster splits if I'm focusing on something visual (sights lifting, muzzle flash, etc.)  If I just try to unload in a berm, trigger freeze and slow splits.

Shooting your vision is faster than shooting by your will. My fastest splits 10 or so .10-.11's in a row was the result of just watching the dot and pulling the trigger when the dot wsa in the middle.

L2S:

Do you think that it is possible to refine your index to the point that you could (not to say that you would/should) get the same splits and hits w/out using the front sight (Type 1 or Type 2 focus applied to multiple targets at moderately close range)?

On single, close in targets I can do this. I've tried it on Bill Drills and El Presidente's and am much less sucessful. But don't know whether the lack of sucess is due to my humble skill level or that what I am trying to do is not a reasonable expectation.