Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble feeding and jams

perazzisc3

My OAL is 1.125" on MG 115gr JHP, This OAL works in my Gen 4 G34 and my HK P30L. I recently acquired a Walther PPQ M2 and tried this load with 1.125" OAL MG 115gr JHP and slide will not close and jams .

If it close it will fire but the following round will jam with the slide not fully closed, Please help if anyone has any idea what may be wrong.

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a PPQ, and am seeing the same, although thankfully, before loading up a bunch.

Doing the drop test with a MG 124g JHP shows a max OAL of ~1.074" with my PPQ(M2, 9mm) barrel, while a typical Hornady 115gr FMJ gives a max OAL of ~1.142". This is without deducting anything, that is to the lands/stepped throat.

I thought I'd been loading slightly on the short side before at 1.085" with the 124gr MG JHPs, going to drop to 1.065" and back off on the load, chrono and work back up..

I shoot a P99QA in IDPA. I reload to a 9mm minor power factor. Using the stock Walther recoil springs I had a number of failure to fully retract and/or feed. I first checked the mags and weeded out a couple of after market mags with weak springs. I then bought an after market stainless steel recoil spring assembly with a two spring option. I forget the name right now but found the link to the company on the Walther Forum. its not Earls but its a US company know for high end after market parts. The assembly consists of 2 springs a small one and interchangeable larger one. It comes with 2 large springs that you can change out one with stronger tension and one with weaker tension for low power factor loads. I went with the weaker recoil spring option and I have eliminated the failure to feeds (test in two IDPA matches. This also increased my accuracy and I need help there!

Good luck

BTW with respect to my above post I reload 124 and 147 gr 9mm in for my Walther P99QA. My reload target for the OAL is 1.10 and I have never had a problem of the type the OP is discribing.

BTW with respect to my above post I reload 124 and 147 gr 9mm in for my Walther P99QA. My reload target for the OAL is 1.10 and I have never had a problem of the type the OP is discribing.

I'm guessing those aren't MG JHPs you're loading?

Different projectile profiles can require different max OALs. 1.10" on FMJs is (likely, is in mine, and haven't seen reports of factory ammo nod feeding properly) fine, may even be fine for some HPs, or borderline but still chambers.

Have you done the 'drop test' to check your gun's max OAL?

I'm guessing those aren't MG JHPs you're loading?

Different projectile profiles can require different max OALs. 1.10" on FMJs is (likely, is in mine, and haven't seen reports of factory ammo nod feeding properly) fine, may even be fine for some HPs, or borderline but still chambers.

Have you done the 'drop test' to check your gun's max OAL?

I have used Berry's 147 grn round tip and 124 grn MG round tip. The MG are FMJ and the Berrys is CMJ. I do not use HP. I checked a number of reloading manuals, checked the OAL on Atlanta Arms 147 grn factory ammo and some other 124 grn factory ammo before I settled on 1.10 for a target OAL. I set the OAL using a 124 grn bullet. I check each round with a case gage and use the drop test on that. The drop test also works on the barrel for both bullets. The diffence in the OAL between the 147 and 124 is very small. I just used the caliper test last night on 15 rounds of 124 gr and it was almost dead on for 1.10. I will check the OAL on the 147 I expect its very close. They both meet the limit on the case guage. If I get some time tonight I'll find out the OAL on the 147s. I have it in my log book but I don't remember it right now.

Quag - no worries. I don't see the 'issues' with RN, just the MG JHP so far...just calling out your experience with RN and a different projectile doesn't mean the OP is wrong, or that there is necessarily anything at all wrong with the gun. I sure wish I had a wider sampling of projectiles on hand at the moment, just to be able to post up more relative to each other in the same gun/barrel.

For sanity, you may want to do the barrel max OAL test with your various projectiles. The best visual explanation I've seen on it is here: http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=34225.0

Thanks rtp. I was interested in what the OP was indicating because of the gun his gun is walther PPQ M2, mine is the P99QA which is the father of the PPQ. I never had the problems he is having.