Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone App for laser dry fire - to project targets, time/score hits?

trgt

Anyone else tried ShootOFF?

They are adding support for drawing your own target, have a shot timer

It's a bit finicky with the SIRT because the shot time is only regulated by the shooter so some times it picks up two shots.

This looks cool, for PC instead of iPhone?

Looks like they are doing basically same thing I am - do they shoot USPSA also? Or coming from a different direction?

I understand the 'finicky' part, SIRT is a little different than a laser snap cap since you can keep the laser on by holding trigger down, but using a delay isn't the best way to determine a new shot. The delay might filter out legitimate fast/next shots. They might consider location of laser as a better way to determine if laser they detect is part of last shot or next shot.

My finicky part has to do with the iPhone camera - I'm not a optics or sensor expert, but something about how the iphone processes bright light in the camera makes bright white or reflections almost the same as laser light when trying to sense lasers, even though I would have thought the colors would give a clue. In any case, that's making it a bear to deal with white no-shoot and steel targets. I can sense in the day on other color targets, but not with white targets. Hopefully that's not a deal killer if I have to exclude white targets for now. Luckily what most folks shoot for A-As is tan :-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Please do pm me when this is available for purchase

Will do !

Been SLOW going since the holidays. Version 1 is pretty much ready to go - except - trying to be as usable as possible in any light, not just low light. It's a little bit of a fight with what they give (and don't give you) to play with on the camera in terms of contrast control and locking things down. I just might have to release with caveat that first version better in medium to low light.

• 3 weeks later...

Please do pm me when this is available for purchase

Will do !

Been SLOW going since the holidays. Version 1 is pretty much ready to go - except - trying to be as usable as possible in any light, not just low light. It's a little bit of a fight with what they give (and don't give you) to play with on the camera in terms of contrast control and locking things down. I just might have to release with caveat that first version better in medium to low light.

Well I'm glad I found this. Was getting ready to duplicate the work!

What I am working on is a very cost effective way to modify gas blowback airsoft pistols to work similar to the LaserLyte training guns, but with your choice of gun, and more realism.

What I am working on is a very cost effective way to modify gas blowback airsoft pistols to work similar to the LaserLyte training guns, but with your choice of gun, and more realism.

If I understand you correctly, this won't be a duplication. Most pistols except for Glocks cannot simulate successive single-action shots in dry-fire unless the shooter racks the slide. This severely limits the kind of exercises one can do with a laser.

I dry-fire with my CZ Shadow and use Tanfoglio Limited Custom airsoft. Marrying airsoft with a laser sounds like a terrific idea, please tell more.

I don't think you'd be duplicating ... I'm working on using the iPhone to 'watch' where your laser device of choice 'hits' your target of choice. What I'm (slowly) doing is creating the iPhone app that tracks the location and timing of hits.

I'd be very interested in a CZ airsoft + Laser combo for the laser device, especially if the self-resetting trigger was reasonably close to my real one, say about 2.5-3 lbs for SA. I don't mind using a SIRT, but I'd really love CZ to use my competition holster as well as have identical point of aim. Huge bonus if I'm getting gas blowback with each trigger pull! Can I send you one of my CZ airsoft guns (and a wad of cash) for the mod ?? :-)

Edited by trgt

Can you not just use a sound activated laser? But it will be all DA though. Frankly, i havent seen a reliable CZ sp01 replica airsoft. Im happy with my tanfoglio limited. Not a CZ, but close.

I am already working on the GBBG (Gas Blowback Gun) conversion, but I was going to begin writing, or enhancing open source software to support my idea. Your iPad app is doing what i had planned for my first step.

You can get GBBG's for as little as $70, and higer quality ones for around $150. These operate almost identically to the real thing.

http://www.airsplat.com/Items/GP-ASG-CZ-17397.htm

VFC / Stark / Cybergun makes some of the better ones.

http://stark-arms.com/

You can use a sound detecting laser, as laserlyte has done, but I'm working on what I feel is a better solution using a vibration switch. As I get some of the prototypes done, I'll report back.

Hi Steve,

Yes, this is designed to use iPhone/iPad (with camera)/iPod Touch (with camera) to track laser hits against any target you have, cardboard, paper, etc. The projector thing is further out, allowing you to electronically project targets and target arrays - so you can be lazy like me and not tape or staple up targets in different configurations.

Edited by trgt

Trgt,

I am really interested in this app! I would be happy to volunteer as a beta tester if need. The wife doesn't like all the targets hanging up around the spare bedroom, lol! Anyway, please keep up the good work and I'm really looking forward to purchasing this app!!!!

Thanks!!!!

I'm very interested in this app as well, as I've been considering the iMarksman system.

Mark

I'd like to try that system out. I think there is someone here local to me that has the full blown system for USPSA practice, I need to reach out to him and see if he'll let me visit, give it a spin. I think the benefit with that system is the full blown stages you can create, and save/replay -basically doing virtual stages, and I assume for the $$ it's pretty responsive.

I think what I'm doing very different in scope - I think if I can get it to be accurate for timing and tracking a lot of the common dry fire drills against a target or target array, it will be useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks on the interest. It's pretty much same done-ness, we're just fighting the white-balance thing as we have time. What this means is trying to make it work with most any lighting condition vs only low light -- no matter what you do to make lights low, the iPhone camera trys to automatically compensate by cranking up white balance, so you end up with not as nearly much contrast between laser light and ambient stuff no matter what you do. So when you do a target with white background, or near a white background, it almost can't tell the difference between laser and background and/or it's easy for it to think reflected light or shiny surfaces are a laser hit.

About to throw the towel in on that and just get it out there for folks to play with, with caveat about watching the ambient light and don't aim at white targets :-)

Also was trying to figure out pricing, but since now there seem to be better / more varied options for paid options that I remember when I started this, I'm probably just going to let this loose as a basic free app to watch hits and time, and let the other folks play with fancy features.

• 1 month later...

Have you been able to test by chance with IR lasers? Something in the 900-1050nm wavelength? I've seen these show up on cameras, so I don't think the cameras we're talking about would have any problem.

The idea being to prevent the shooter from looking for the dot, and just use the sights and see the hits. Seeing the dot is good for watching your trigger control and follow-through, but not so great in making you work the sights and target properly.