Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

iPhone App for laser dry fire - to project targets, time/score hits?

trgt

I've just now got an IR laser last week so I will try it out very soon. The weathers been so nice, I've been out live fire practicing rather than working on this :-)

At some point I read that from iPhone 4S onward they implemented a IR filter, so I'll have to see how effective that filter is. Otherwise yes, its normally not a problem to pick up IR, all the night vision cameras seem to do fairly well.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear. I've haven't been applying the time to my project as much I had planned either, but working with Bob Vogel this past weekend I came up with some other ideas that have possibly changed my designs, or at least added some alternatives.

No projector needed, I have the camera watching your target. Projector was a thought for a future enhancement, to project from a library of digital targets instead of having to put up paper. And not late to this party, I haven't released it yet :-). Testing some new features I want in this to make it really useful for practice.

Edited by trgt

For those inquiring via PM for the red and IR laser blow back gun I'm working on, I'm afraid I haven't been working on it lately. 50 - 60 hour work weeks have put a damper on my ability to line up enough time to really work on it.

I'll update with a video of some of the prototypes and details when I have more time, maybe just publish it as a DIY project.

-EB

Hey guys, I am new to the forums. I came across them doing some searches for dry fire. I have seen a couple of iPhone apps like you are working on but never really done right so far. One is from iMarksman and another never made it out of beta from another company. My company makes dry fire training devices that you might be interested in. You can check them out at www.AimtechSystems.com. At the very least we have Red and IR training lasers that could be used with your app.

trgt, I have been building firearms simulators for going on 10 years now so I would be happy to help answer any camera or laser questions you may have if you need any advice.

EvilBetty, We have modified several of the higher end airsoft gas blow back models so we already have a laser that would work for you. We usually machine the barrel to accept the threaded insert and then they make great laser trainers. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Luke

Hey guys, I am new to the forums. I came across them doing some searches for dry fire. I have seen a couple of iPhone apps like you are working on but never really done right so far. One is from iMarksman and another never made it out of beta from another company. My company makes dry fire training devices that you might be interested in. You can check them out at www.AimtechSystems.com. At the very least we have Red and IR training lasers that could be used with your app.

trgt, I have been building firearms simulators for going on 10 years now so I would be happy to help answer any camera or laser questions you may have if you need any advice.

EvilBetty, We have modified several of the higher end airsoft gas blow back models so we already have a laser that would work for you. We usually machine the barrel to accept the threaded insert and then they make great laser trainers. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Thanks,

Luke

Hi Luke, I will DEFINITELY take you up on the offer of advice! PM headed your way in a bit :-)

• 2 months later...

The aimtech guys, both Luke and a gentleman I was emailing, stopped responding to my replies when I tried to get technical information and costs to setup an order. Not sure why. I've been busy, but have been meaning to try them again to get an order going.

Hi, this app is a personal project, some family stuff (not bad or good, just a lot of stuff), delayed things. Hopefully released soon. I've practiced a bit with it, but I realize that doesn't help others so will make a push to release soon, sorry about that.

WRT to Aimtech, Luke isn't there anymore don't try to contact him - I've talked to one of the owners Fred and he seems nice/helpful.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hey there TRGT,

This thread was the reason that made me jump from luker to member lol

My Sirt Pistol was ordered about 3 minutes after I watched your test videos...

lol Probably should have finished the thread to see it wasnt out yet but I got a tad bit excited lol

Any progress on this so far?

Personally, for an app like this, even without projector support, I would be happy to pay atleast $20 for,

Instead of having to have a computer around all the time, this would make great use of that old phone or tablet that I have kicking around and let me practise in a ton more locations. Not to mention with the timer and splits, I wouldnt have to buy a shotmaxx just for my fry fire practise!

Really inspiring work!

Edited by elbandito

elbandito, Thanks on the support / kind words.

I'm sure your SIRT purchase was a wise Dryfire investment regardless of availability of my project :-)

It took me while to figure out what it was supposed to be, what I wanted to offer ... a laser dry fire helper, or a mobile USPSA/IPSC scene simulator. I eventually allowed that few people are sporting Pico (or regular) projectors, and that most of the utility of having this on your iPhone is to give you verifiable feedback on what's going on with your dry fire (time, scoring and hit factor) where ever you choose to do it.

There are others doing computer-based stage / scenario projection and hit tracking, so now I leave creating simulators to them.

I did complete version 1 last year - it tracks and gives you real time feedback on your dry fire against targets the iPhone camera watches. But I simply ran out of steam to try to launch it. I've gotten other supportive notes about the app, and given continued lack of availability of anything like this, I am of the mind to still get this out the door for others to play with, maybe we'll finally have some rain here in CA to force me indoors to do that :-)

Thanks again!