Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most common bullet used in SS

timawa

• 2 months later...

My favorite bullet for my 45 is the Montana Gold 200gr FP.

It has a solid jacket base like a hollow point so it doesn't smoke like a lead based bullet.

It does have some exposed lead on the truncated nose but that doesn't seem to be a contamination issue.

Most of all, the MG 200 is extraordinarily accurate in my Springer.

They are relatively expensive and not always available but always my bullet of choice.

Second choice would be Zero 230 HP.

If shooting Single Stack Minor, my 9mm bullet of choice would be Montana Gold 147 FP totally enclosed, followed closely by the Zero 147 gr HP.

200 SWC H&G68 version in a moly coat. Lead is smoky and Jacketed/Plated in that bullet don't feed as well. 2nd place is 230 RN either Coated/Plated/Jacketed.

Above are all cost effective and work great. The SWC will usually be the most accurate.

Why isn't the 185 grain bullet very popular? I shot zero 185 jhp when I first started and loved them. The recoil was low, but the gun seemed to be nice and fast. I had to switch to 200 swc because they were cheaper and easier to find.

The basic idea is that a heavier bullet requires less powder to make major. Less powder means less gas leaving the muzzle and at a lower velocity, so the portion of recoil coming from excess pressure is reduced. Since that accounts for ~20-30% of recoil, minimizing it potentially worthwhile.