Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building 9mm TS into open gun.

mattwaage

Hello All,

I am getting the open gun hankering.

I have a bone stock 9mm tactical sport I would like to turn into an open gun.

I do not want to build a czechmate clone, I want to do a few things different and I need some advice from all of you:

I am going to list things number here that I intend to do to the pistol so If you are listing something you would do different just type the number (eg: 3: I would do this)

1: Grip reduction. I have a Shay Akai grip reduction on another 40 cal TS I bought from a member here and it is decent. Anyone else to try?

2: Slide/Barrel Shortening. It has a 5.4 inch barrel now and after you add and inch at least of comp to this this pistol starts to get pretty long. I would like to shorten the barrel and slide, if there is a smith who can do this and if it is cost feasible. Shorten slide and barrel to 4.5" barrel, threaded for comp.

3: Along with the slide shortening scallop all extra metal off slide and port it.

4: The frame will more than likely have to be cut away at the front alone the frame rails to clear the comp and shorter barrel.

5: Large Magwell (no clue on a good on)

6: Drill and tap for mount. Any recomendations on the best mount or optic setup to use here?

7: Big safeties, mag catches, etc for my medium sized hands.

8: Flat grips with tape of course.

Add in anything else you guys think I might need or like.

Thanks for the help, the biggest hurdle is if its even possible to shorten the slide as I would like, If not maybe I should just give up and buy a new czechmate, but they are so long...

Thanks alot!

-Matt

The first thing you should know when modifying the TS is that it doesn't have a 5.4" barrel, but a 5.1" barrel; don't take my word for it, break out your ruler.

If you want a thin grip and a short barrel, why not start with a 75B? Or an SP01?

I have a Tanfoglio Open shorty with a compact slide and it takes a lot of powder to make Major and I wouldn't expect it to last very long that way. Compact barrels only use one lug whereas full sized barrels use two.

I have my TS based Open gun, a Gold Team and the Tanfo shorty; I would be happy to share info and parts compatibility info.

When shopping for my first pistol for USPSA, I looked at the Czechmate as I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to resist Open for very long, but $1K vs $3K I ended up buying a TS .40 and shooting Limited. I immediately started tinkering with my TS: mag well, race hammer (the best mod by the way), but I always had an eye on an Open gun, so when the opportunity to buy an SP01 slide arose the project began. what I have there is a 9mm TS barrel in an SP01 slide threaded M14X0.75 to match the factory tread of a small frame Witness compensator I bought from Numrich. Unfortunately their only three port comp was advertised as 9mm, but turned out to be .40. They've since changed the description, but I have scoured the internet for a better comp and have come up empty. With my new 100gr load the comp works pretty well, but they had some double feeds because they're so short, I think 115s will be perfect. I have a project in mind to fix the comp which I'll detail with pictures when I'm finished.

Unfortunately there are no commercially available comps which work easily with the TS. In your case, starting with a 9mm TS, I would have a smith cut back the slide/frame and fit a custom cone comp.

I've collected much of the Internet's collective knowledge on the subject of CZ/Tanfo interchangeability, so if you have any questions, just ask.

Hmmm I will have to look into those options... Or maybe just sell this and buy a czechmate, dont want to have to try too hard to make 9 major and have durability issues like you said.

Just measured the barrel every which way too, 5.1 like you said. Wonder why they advertise them as 5.4?

Selling your TS and buying a Czechmate is certainly the easier way to go; my project is a labor of love and I've done all the work myself, but it's not quite perfect just yet. Not including my labor (lots of it), I barely saved any money over just buying a Czechmate, although I do have a .40 top end/mags for Limited Major and some great experiences.

I too was looking around to get a TS built into an open gun, but the very few guys that said that might be able to do it quoted me prices that were the same or higher than a new Czechmate. Didnt really seem to make much sense to do that, so I kept my TS and bought a Czechmate instead.

• 3 weeks later...

The rest is nicely contoured but the little binding post it bolts into was thin aluminum and it broke, so I plan to screw it directly to the mount at two points without the adjustment capacity.

Rht makes a left and right handed thumbrest. You have to order it straight from them but they are fast.