Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Right handed Left eye Dominant Read Brian;s book

kmaultsby

At fifty three years old I am getting more serious with my IDPA and soon ISPC shooting. I have read Brian's book Practical Shooting and read he is left eye dominate but he placed a small piece of tape over his left eye lens but he said if had to do it all over again he would reverse the process. Well for me I see better out of my right eye at distance then my left but I am left eye dominate. I did the test both ways, first cover my right eye and ran some strings, and then I switched to covering my left eye. I shot better covering my left eye, both in accuracy and speed. Would love here comments from others.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I'm surprised you are as well but shoot better using your right eye... that just doesn't make much sense as your right eye is better at distance but your gun's sights are close.

I shoot with my left eye.... people spend way too much time worrying about being cross dominant. Way too much.

Same story, Right handed left eye Dominant.

for the first couple years I would just use my left eye, closing my right . I'd shoot pistols right handed, and long guns left handed.

Now, with practice I use both eyes - and it's alot better.... Though, sometimes for a long distance precise shot, i'll sometimes squint or close my right eye.

I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I'm surprised you are as well but shoot better using your right eye... that just doesn't make much sense as your right eye is better at distance but your gun's sights are close.

I shoot with my left eye.... people spend way too much time worrying about being cross dominant. Way too much.

Yeh I know. The sights our still clear with my right eye. I see double when shooting with both eyes open but I am working on that. That is why I am using the tape to keep both eyes open.

Edited by kmaultsby

I'm right handed, left eye dominant, and have only been shooting competition for a couple years. I got tired of shooting with my head cocked goofy, and tape over my right eye didn't work real well. I decided last winter to work on switching shooting right eyed. Surprisingly, it was not real difficult for me, and I ended up shooting better. I know switching doesn't work for everyone, but it did for me.

Right handed and left eye dominant here.

My right eye usually takes over when I put a set of sights in front of them, probably from years of bench shooting with my left eye covered, but occasionally it switches up in a course of fire and I have to squint my left eye a little to get focus back on the right eye.

I'm testing out the magic eye dots currently (basically like using a little frosted tape) and it's ok so far. Shooting a match tomorrow, will have a better idea on them after that.

At fifty three years old I am getting more serious with my IDPA and soon ISPC shooting. I have read Brian's book Practical Shooting and read he is left eye dominate but he placed a small piece of tape over his left eye lens but he said if had to do it all over again he would reverse the process. Well for me I see better out of my right eye at distance then my left but I am left eye dominate. I did the test both ways, first cover my right eye and ran some strings, and then I switched to covering my left eye. I shot better covering my left eye, both in accuracy and speed. Would love here comments from others.

It depends how dominant the eye is. I tried to "cross train" to sighting with my left eye by blocking the right but it never worked. It drove me nuts and actually made my left eye twitch. Some people can cross over to the other eye, some not. Edited by bountyhunter

Right handed left eye dominant. Shoot with both eyes open, and simply just push out in front of my left eye which keeps my head aligned... Have the advantage in weak hand/left hand slow aim and rapid fire strings. But don't notice any major issues... I think the same thing, to much emphasis put on something that doesn't seem to matter if you shoot a lot.

If you have been shooting for a while and have already established your habits, this may be somewhat challenging for you. I think it'll take a lot of training of your eyes to get them to do what you want. Don't get easily discouraged or frustrated.

I'm 24 and I had only been shooting for about 1 or 2 years when I decided to embrace my cross dominance and stop fighting it. It didn't take me too long to get used to it, but like I said, I hadn't even been shooting very long so it was fairly quick for me to develop a new habit. My shooting improved immensely when I started shooting with both eyes open but letting my dominant left eye take the reigns. I never needed to put tape over my right eye to force my left to be dominant because it came so naturally. If I put tape over my left eye to try to force my right eye to take over, I don't think I could hit the A zone at 10yds (due to a small blind spot in that eye)!

I did switch rifle and shotgun shooting to left handed, which still feels slightly awkward at times, but I am way faster and more accurate than before.

You experimented and figured out what works for you. I think you are on the right track.

You experimented and figured out what works for you. I think you are on the right track.

I agree. I'm right eye dominant,but my left eye is much stronger. I found a great opthamologist and had my shooting glasses made with different prescriptions for each eye.